Royal Sun Alliane Home Emergency cover problem - Lloyds TSB premier account benefit!

Options
I have the home emergency cover with the Lloyds TSB premier account. This morning my hot water stopped working so I called Lloyds up and got put through to Royal Sun Alliance who administer the home emergency cover.

1st call
The first time I spoke to them at about 1pm the woman told me that the hot water system was not covered between 1st of October to the 30th of April. So I went off to read the policy as I was not sure:

What is covered by your Home Emergency policy:
Situations which fall into both of the following categories:
1. Emergency:
A sudden or unforeseen situation which, if not dealt with immediately, would in our
reasonable opinion cause one of the following:
• render the home unsafe or insecure; or
• damage or cause further damage to the home or its contents; or
• create unreasonable risk to you or your family’s health and safety.
2. Perils covered:
A) failure of, or damage to, plumbing and drainage
B) complete failure of electricity supply within the home
C) failure of, or damage to, external locks, external doors or external windows
D) primary heating system: complete breakdown of the hot water system, or
complete or partial breakdown of the central heating system. The central
heating system is only covered between 1 October and 30 April (inclusive).

2nd call
So after reading this I called them up (1.40pm) to inform them of their mistake. This time I was told that they would come out to fix the hot water if it was between 1st Oct - 30 Apr but if it was out of this time period it would have to be classed as an emergency such as if I had children or elderly people living with me which I don't. After I explained that this was not stated in the policy document she went off to ask her supervisor. As I was on the phone for 30 minutes I had to go back to work and got a reference number to call them back.

3rd call
On the 3rd call at 5.40pm I talked the adviser through the policy booklet on the website and she explained exactly what the adviser said on the 2nd call. She said I could boil a kettle to heat the bath water so it was not an emergency and she would pass me on to a tradesman to get it fixed of which I would have to pay! I asked her what the difference was having no hot water in the summer compared to the winter; as if it was winter they would come out "unconditionally". She went off to her supervisor with this remark and came back to say that actually I had to prove why the hot water not working was an emergency and would actually have to do this at any point in the year (conditions change again!). I said that it was a health and safety issue as if I have a bath in cold water I could get hypothermia. She did not think that it was an emergency so when I questioned to the circumstances where it would be an emergency she said every case was different but for example if I had children/elderly or a medical condition (I am guessing that adults can't get hypothermia but children/elderly or someone with a medical condition do!!!).

Obviously we came to a standstill and so they are writing to me as to why I am not covered and escalating it to a complaint.

My question is if they can question any of the above points on whether they are "emergency" does this mean that if for example my central heating system broke in the winter they would tell me to wear some more jumpers! It is basically a get out clause for any of the points as "emergency" is open to interpretation.

What does everyone else think? Would be great to get your thoughts on this issue...

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this a gas-fired H/W system? If so, do you have a hot water tank with an electrical immersion heater fitted that you can use to heat the water?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Ionkontrol
    Ionkontrol Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    Insurance company trying to wriggle out of payment.
    Nothing new there then.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The way I read clause 1, I would be hard pushed to call the loss of hot water an emergency.

Unless there is a gas or water leak, or a dangerous electrical problem, then the first two bullet points wouldn't apply.

The third bullet point will only apply if your family's health and safety is at risk if the hot water isn't fixed urgently. You can wash your hands in cold water, and go without a shower or bath for a few days without dying of some horrible disease. The only reason I see it being an emergency is if someone in the family needs hot water because of a medical condition.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • alex.r_2
    Options
    maninthestreet - It is a gas h/w system (back boiler) with an electrical immersion heater, but with it all on the water never heats up. any ideas?

Ectophile, I understand your point but why put the statement that the hot water system is covered at all. I cant think of a medical condition that needs hot water. If it only covers fixing the hot water if you have a medical condition this should be stated in black and white and which medicals conditions are covered. Also, if I had a gas leak but my central heating system still worked they would not come out as it would not fall into both categories, hence really you can get out of pretty much any claim I make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure