The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

High Gloss kitchen cabinet doors - good or bad?

13»

Comments

• I love black and white. White gloss, then black surface and splash backs. This way you can always change the accesories and maybe paint the actual wall in a few yrs to update it without doing a re-haul of your kitchen. I think though that a big big decider is the type of property you live in and also how the rest of your house is decorated. E.g. i think a glossy modern kitchen would look out of place in a cottagey type property - no matter how much you love it! Your decor has to really flow through, especially on the ground floor where people visit. I mean i'm stuck now because i'm torn between pretty french boudoir type living room and dining room as our kitchen will clash as its so modern. So i do't know how to decorate the living and dining room, or whether to go full wack and change the lot. Lol! Indecisive as ever! :D
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins :smileyhea
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I mean i'm stuck now because i'm torn between pretty french boudoir type living room and dining room as our kitchen will clash as its so modern. So i do't know how to decorate the living and dining room, or whether to go full wack and change the lot. Lol! Indecisive as ever! :D

It's your house. No one makes the rules in your house except you.

I don't see how different rooms can really clash. They're different rooms. Perhaps you lose a 'flow' of a common theme throughout the house but honestly, who cares? Are you doing it to sell? It might be important then but it's not important while you're living there. Make some changes for the sake of selling but in the meantime I'm having what I want and if the kids want dark blue and bright yellow respectively then they can have it. I'll paint their rooms magnolia when we sell.

Do what makes you happy, not what you think other people will like because you'll never please everyone so you might as well please yourself.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • llh189
    llh189 Posts: 533 Forumite
    My rented place has high gloss white doors and they are a pain to keep clean, after living with them for a couple of years here I wouldn't fit them myself - but it is completely personal choice.
  • Lol, no its to live in. I agree, dont get me wrong, little madam is disney princess mad and wants puple, pink and YELLOW, lol - and yep she'll get it, i don't know how it'll be done but if it makes her happy then she's in charge(within reason).

I'm not fussed on the upstairs, we do each room however. I'm just a tad fussy, so it's my fault. I have a new found love for that french fancy kind of decor, i just don't like walking into the next room and its so madly modern (as i like my kitchen)...lol - as you can guess everything is done to a T with me which can be a big problem, haha, i drive OH mad.
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins :smileyhea
  • michellep45
    michellep45 Posts: 198 Forumite
    hi
    i have high gloss red and love it, its easy to clean i use window cleaner which is brill and no streaks it really has a wow factor got ours from ikea very sturdy and easy to put together great kitchen
  • We've installed the high gloss white a couple of weeks ago, it looks fantastic. The gloss bounces the light off and makes the kitchen feel much bigger. The doors are so easy to keep clean and providing you wipe down with a dry cloth after cleaning there are no streaks left behind. We've gone for a 50mm thick dark work surface which sets it off brilliantly. For me personally, I think the gloss will outshine (pardon the pun) the wooden ones in the 'dated' timescale. So, if you're umm'ing and ahh'ing, I'd say bite the bullet, you wont regret it!
    :beer:
    :j
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've never wanted anything but white in my kitchen. Can't say I'm always having to wipe off marks, and the only scratches are where I bodged putting a handle on (and there's only me aware of it).
  • high gloss kitchen cabinet doors are very easy to keep clean in the kitchen. They are very simply constructed and do not have corners where grease and dust settles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure