Forum Home» Motoring

cyclist deaths & the law - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

cyclist deaths & the law

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Motoring
500 replies 25.1K views
1235750

Replies

  • ParadigmParadigm Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    custardy wrote: »
    well what are they going to refresh on this course?
    what are they going to teach?
    a basic proficiency 'test'?
    Is that really a way to 'teach' people what to do in real life?

    My thoughts were that regular updates/refreshers/training for all road users was a good idea, obviously you don't think so.

    Maybe cyclists never develop bad habits despite years of experience.... who knows?

    Have fun ;)
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paradigm wrote: »
    My thoughts were that regular for all road users was a good idea, obviously you don't think so.

    Maybe cyclists never develop bad habits despite years of experience.... who knows?

    Have fun ;)

    so how would it work?
    what would it cover?
    you have flounced around a fluffy idea.
    what is it "updates/refreshers/training" in?
    how would you enforce/regualte it?
  • ParadigmParadigm Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    custardy wrote: »
    so how would it work?
    what would it cover?
    you have flounced around a fluffy idea.
    what is it "updates/refreshers/training" in?
    how would you enforce/regualte it?

    God help me. It was an idea, a thought that's all.

    Why have one section of road users subjected to mandatary re-training but not others? Doesn't seem right that that some road users can demand action/retests for others but have none, at all, themselves.

    I don't know how it would be policed/enforced/regulated... it was a thought based on the fact that some sections of the road using community are far more vulnerable than others so some form of training might be a good idea!

    I spend my working day avidly watching for cyclists, it's a pity that some don't spend the same amount of time protecting themselves.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paradigm wrote: »
    God help me. It was an idea, a thought that's all.

    Why have one section of road users subjected to mandatary re-training but not others? Doesn't seem right that that some road users can demand action/retests for others but have none, at all, themselves.

    I don't know how it would be policed/enforced/regulated... it was a thought based on the fact that some sections of the road using community are far more vulnerable than others so some form of training might be a good idea!

    I spend my working day avidly watching for cyclists, it's a pity that some don't spend the same amount of time protecting themselves.

    *well why have a driving test then?
    if its all down to whats fair.

    * yeah its all their own fault.
  • ParadigmParadigm Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    custardy wrote: »
    *well why have a driving test then?
    if its all down to whats fair.

    * yeah its all their own fault.

    Sometimes I wonder why some parts of society get a bad rap! When it comes to cyclists you do a pretty good job of explaining it.

    If you want to be stupid let's try this....

    All road users should be registered, insured & taxed. This includes cycles.

    Thats what you wanted isn't it?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why some parts of society get a bad rap! When it comes to cyclists you do a pretty good job of explaining it.

    If you want to be stupid let's try this....

    All road users should be registered, insured & taxed. This includes cycles.

    Thats what you wanted isn't it?

    how would you create that?
    would that reduce deaths?
  • Mrs_ImpMrs_Imp Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why some parts of society get a bad rap! When it comes to cyclists you do a pretty good job of explaining it.

    If you want to be stupid let's try this....

    All road users should be registered, insured & taxed. This includes cycles.

    Thats what you wanted isn't it?

    I'm afraid you need to understand that Custardy is never wrong, and does quite like an argument.

    The reality is that some drivers are rubbish and need a refresher course, and some cyclists are rubbish and need to be taught how to obey the highway code - like the cyclist who shouted at me because I was in his way, as I crossed the road on a green man. And the two who failed to stop for me at a zebra crossing, they were closely followed by idiot car drivers who were so keen to get passed the cyclists that they ignored me too.

    There are idiots in all sections of road users, and the sooner that people realise this and take it in to account when they are on the roads, the better. Cyclists are not 'saintly environmentally friendly people' and car drivers do not 'own the road'
  • ParadigmParadigm Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs_Imp wrote: »
    I'm afraid you need to understand that Custardy is never wrong, and does quite like an argument.

    Yep, I'm getting that...shame really!
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Quite a refreshing post from, I assume, a cyclist.

    The bit in bold is worrying. If what you say is correct then no amount of training (motorist or cyclist) is going to make a jot of difference.

    Yes, I'm a cyclist, car driver and motorcyclist so I don't really have an us vs them attitude with any of it.

    As an example of the effectiveness of proficiency courses, the local school (as I'm sure most do) teaches pupils cycling schools yet this seems to get completely ignored when they are cycling to and from school as many of them seem to pay no attention to other traffic and dangerously shoot suddenly across the road or straight across the middle of junctions through red lights.

    I don't really understand why some cyclists are so reckless as I feel vulnerable on the bike and therefore it's in my best interests to ride following the rules of the road (rather than unpredictably cutting across junctions, red lights and one way streets) and to be very aware of the traffic around me.

    John
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrs_Imp wrote: »
    I'm afraid you need to understand that Custardy is never wrong, and does quite like an argument.

    The reality is that some drivers are rubbish and need a refresher course, and some cyclists are rubbish and need to be taught how to obey the highway code - like the cyclist who shouted at me because I was in his way, as I crossed the road on a green man. And the two who failed to stop for me at a zebra crossing, they were closely followed by idiot car drivers who were so keen to get passed the cyclists that they ignored me too.

    There are idiots in all sections of road users, and the sooner that people realise this and take it in to account when they are on the roads, the better. Cyclists are not 'saintly environmentally friendly people' and car drivers do not 'own the road'

    however you aren't dead
    The same doesnt seem to ring true for many cyclists
    over 40 this year already
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support