Virgin Media - Downgrading then cancelling

Hi guys

Firstly, sorry if this has been covered before, done a little search but couldn't find much.

I won't go into great detail about all the problems I've been having with Virgin Media because I'm sure no one has the time :-).

Basically, I have just finished university and moved back home with my mum who is currently not working due to sickness I advised her to cut off the virgin media service and I would pay for a new aerial and go with freeview.

I called up the ever so helpful Virgin Media customer service team to cancel the services (I'm aware of the 30 day notice that you have to give) I then asked to downgrade everything (Getting sky sports + movies cut off etc) but they said I was not allowed to downgrade then cancel, is this normal? The customer service rep was probably the worst person I have ever spoken to at the company, very rude and no help at all.

If someone could let me know if this is correct I would be very grateful.

Comments

• mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    It would really depend on how long your mother was into her contract.

However, with sky movies/sports packages, they can be cancelled at anytime as long as you've had them for 30 days.

As I said the other depends on what contract she was on and if she was getting any deals on that contract.

Did you speak to their retentions people or just customer service?

It also used to be that no one else could call and cancel, even with the customer's password, was only the customer that could actually cut off.

But it's many years since I worked there and things could have changed since then :)
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • mazza111
    Ooops - I'm not sure if they can change anything after you've decided to get cut off. Used to be we weren't allowed to touch those accounts. Should have downgraded first then cut off. But as I say, things could have changed since then, was way back when it was Telewest when I worked there :)
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    if you downgrade to a lower tarrif this may start a new contract
  • Just to confirm, she spoke to the customer service people and went through the security checks then passed the phone to me. I spoke to the retentions department and they said if I downgraded they would put a note on the account to say I couldn't cancel their services. She's been with them for over 15 years so not quite sure about the contract.

I think we're just going to have to pay for the lower packages for 30 days then give them 30 days notice. Which doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for the info so far, any more advice would be appericiated. :)
  • mazza111
    I would call back and speak to someone else tbh. The sky sports and movies can be cancelled at anytime according to their terms and conditions. And I would quote that to them too.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A change of package invariably starts you on a new 12m minimum term, so much better just to give the required 30 days notice and pay the full final month's charges.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mazza111
    Sky sports and movies are separate though, and don't form part of the package. They can be removed at any time as long as you've had them for 30 days.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    jb66 wrote: »
    if you downgrade to a lower tarrif this may start a new contract

Impossible. It might start a new minimum term, but that isn't the same as a new contract. Always a good idea to check when change ANY service.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Buzby wrote: »
    Impossible. It might start a new minimum term, but that isn't the same as a new contract. Always a good idea to check when change ANY service.

What's the difference?
  • mazza111
    It may start a new term, it may not, it usually depends on whether they are giving you one of their deals. This would normally start a new term.

The premium channels are stand alone though and can be cancelled at anytime, as long as you've had them for 30 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport