Please, Please sign this.......

Options

Comments

• redwineguzzler
    Options
    Have signed and shared on FB so hopefully that will help a little too x

I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about your son. My thoughts and prayers are with you to give you the strength to get through this desperately sad time x

My big sister was diagnosed with a brain tumour when she was 28. They said it was a childs tumour and would've been growing since she was tiny. It's terrifying to think it could go undetected for so so long. Her only symptoms had been dizzy spells when she was in her early twenties and her GP dismissed those by saying 'all young women get dizzy spells'. At 28 she had two fits which prompted a brain scan, followed by diagnosis, an operation to remove what they could and then radiotherapy. We were told it had 'gone'. She had yearly brain scans for around 8 years and then was told she didn't NEED to see the consultant again......however she could still see him yearly if she felt it would give her peace of mind. The yearly checkups continued, but never any mention of a brain scan.

When she was 43 she found she was unable to write properly and she would miss her mouth when she tried to drink. The brain scan revealed the tumour had returned with a vengeance. She couldn't be operated on again, so was given chemo for a few months before they realised it was too late. A few months later she was gone.

It's hard not to wonder what if?? ........

I sincerely hope this petition does some good.

Sending you love and hugs xx

A very cruel disease indeed, my thoughts are with you.... ((HUGS)) xx
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you for being brave enough to share your story... if enough people come together on this then we can make a difference. Not enough is known about this horrible disease - I lost my mum to a brain tumour a few months ago. The doctors just didn't spot the obvious signs until it was way too late - how many more times can this be allowed to happen?

I support the Samantha Dickson Brain Tumour Trust which is part of the Brain Tumour Consortium - if you haven't contacted them already then please give them a try. They have some great people working on the helpline and have been really supportive to me; even just for a chat when things were going badly and I needed to vent.

They are also looking for people to share their story and help spread the word - I've joined the campaign just hoping that something good can come from something painful....

http://braintumourtrust.co.uk/

You have enough on your plate at the moment; my thoughts are with you... all you can do is make the most of the time you have together and keep being a mum.

Maybe, sometime in the future when you need to make sense of everything, the trust can help.

Best wishes...
    :hello:
  • chrissie57
    chrissie57 Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So sorry about your son.

have signed and shared on FB
    "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced (James Baldwin)
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Signed & shared xx
  • redwineguzzler
    Options
    Thank you for being brave enough to share your story... if enough people come together on this then we can make a difference. Not enough is known about this horrible disease - I lost my mum to a brain tumour a few months ago. The doctors just didn't spot the obvious signs until it was way too late - how many more times can this be allowed to happen?

I support the Samantha Dickson Brain Tumour Trust which is part of the Brain Tumour Consortium - if you haven't contacted them already then please give them a try. They have some great people working on the helpline and have been really supportive to me; even just for a chat when things were going badly and I needed to vent.

They are also looking for people to share their story and help spread the word - I've joined the campaign just hoping that something good can come from something painful....

http://braintumourtrust.co.uk/

You have enough on your plate at the moment; my thoughts are with you... all you can do is make the most of the time you have together and keep being a mum.

Maybe, sometime in the future when you need to make sense of everything, the trust can help.

Best wishes...

Thanky ou.... I have certainly taken an interest in all 'Brain Tumour' related issues, since my sons's "late" diagnosis.... Life is just a !!!! sometimes, but iv'e learnt that being angry is just a wasted emotion, (but it still hurts) when there's so many other ways of dealing with this !!!! outcome - just watch this space lol's.... Thank you & sending love your way... xx
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanky ou.... I have certainly taken an interest in all 'Brain Tumour' related issues, since my sons's "late" diagnosis.... Life is just a !!!! sometimes, but iv'e learnt that being angry is just a wasted emotion, (but it still hurts) when there's so many other ways of dealing with this !!!! outcome - just watch this space lol's.... Thank you & sending love your way... xx

I wish I had your wisdom... I'm still really, REALLY angry - by the time they figured out what was wrong it was too late for my mum - I just can't let it go... The Brain Tumour Trust stuff is the way for me to do *something* positive to channel those feelings.

Very best wishes to you all in your journey. x
    :hello:
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish I had your wisdom... I'm still really, REALLY angry - by the time they figured out what was wrong it was too late for my mum - I just can't let it go... The Brain Tumour Trust stuff is the way for me to do *something* positive to channel those feelings.

Very best wishes to you all in your journey. x

I was very angry at GP who despite seeing my sister numerous times in a few weeks dismissed her as being depressed. She had what we now know were classic symptoms including sickness only on waking, disorientation, lack of co-ordination, headache, lack of concentration, loss of balance. From the time she first displayed symtoms (that we noticed) to dying was just 7 weeks :(
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • bright_side
    bright_side Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's almost 5 years since I lost my sister, so I guess for me the anger has subsided. I will always be sad that she wasn't listened to or treated better, but anger is such a self destructing emotion and I know my sis wouldn't want that for me. My poor mum is stuck inbetween guilt and anger and it's not nice to witness. I prefer to focus on the years we had with her x
    Some people see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty - the enlightened are simply grateful to have a glass :)
  • boo2410
    boo2410 Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Signed, thinking of you all.
  • redwineguzzler
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    I was very angry at GP who despite seeing my sister numerous times in a few weeks dismissed her as being depressed. She had what we now know were classic symptoms including sickness only on waking, disorientation, lack of co-ordination, headache, lack of concentration, loss of balance. From the time she first displayed symtoms (that we noticed) to dying was just 7 weeks :(

Poppy9,
    That's awful, there needs to be so much more awareness around the whole 'Brain Tumour' issue. Professional's were so wary of my son not being in the 'right age group' for his BT, and even then, when people knew about him they couldn't associate him having a BT and it actually being the 'big C'...... incredible, but BT's just aren't out there along with other types of cancer,and yet t's one of the biggest killers..... So very mis-understood....

My thoughts are with you and your family. xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport