Rotary mower - used - tips

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
22 replies 1.8K views
locky123locky123 Forumite
384 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I've had a cylinder mower for years (Suffolk Punch - never let me down) but now it's not suited to the lawn we have now, as its larger and sloping/uneven. It seems that most people use rotary mowers. Looking around the names that are recommended more often than not are Hayter, Honda and Mountfield. So I'm after any advice on what to look for in terms of makes and what things to look out for. It seems newer ones have plastic bodies, which crack. Many always rate B&S engines but not sure if this is always true, as may depend where it was made.
Thanks.

Replies

• at what angle would you say the slopes are ??
  • locky123locky123 Forumite
    384 Posts
    ✭✭
    They vary but probably no more than 10 deg in most places. Neighbour has a gardener with similar lawn and they use a rotary, so seems best choice.
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hayter and Mountfied seem best, Honda's are dearer to repair later on.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • locky123 wrote: »
    They vary but probably no more than 10 deg in most places. Neighbour has a gardener with similar lawn and they use a rotary, so seems best choice.

the reason why i asked is because it would either conclude a 4 stroke engine or a 2 stroke powered lawnmower for use on banks,slopes !! im a contractor and mountfield is ample for your own domestic garden , the b&s and honda engines are fine but beware of the honda built machines as there gearboxes are junk , hayter i cannot fault , but iv only used the commercail grade machines so i cannot advise on such a purchase on domestic machines, you must be aware that if you purchase a 4 wheeler as to a rear roller machine if you dont scarify the lawn yearly you will get tramlines due to moss
    384 Posts
    ✭✭
    I would be looking for one with a rear roller and self propelled.
    384 Posts
    ✭✭
    What are the differences between commercial and domestic, just the power of the engine?
  • edited 29 June 2012 at 7:13PM
    bankhater_1965bankhater_1965
    714 Posts
    edited 29 June 2012 at 7:13PM
    locky123 wrote: »
    What are the differences between commercial and domestic, just the power of the engine?

most commercail grade engines are cast iron bore , also you will get a deck liner in the deck, alloy decks, grade 1 sealed ball bearings , handlebar strenghners, bigger cuts with a better blade for collection,the blade will have better tails for making a better vacuum under the deck making it more effiecant for grass discharge into the bag, the machine in general is just better made, the best rear roller on the market is the hayter 48 or 56 harriers priced between £700-£1300 or lawnflight are also very strong around £900 , personaly i would go on ebay and bid on a domestic used hayter 48 harrier , it has all commercail fitting esp the metal split roller
    excuse my spelling
    384 Posts
    ✭✭
    Do all Hayter 48 mowers have hydrostatic drive and is it reliable?
  • not the 48 or 56 , i think the etesia mowers do tho, to be honest the drives and gearboxes on these 2 hayter harriers are very good, whats your budget ?
    384 Posts
    ✭✭
    not the 48 or 56 , i think the etesia mowers do tho, to be honest the drives and gearboxes on these 2 hayter harriers are very good, whats your budget ?

Budget for used about £200, but not sure what that will get on ebay and how old a machine it should be or how much use.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals