Credit Expert by Experian - 30 day "Free" trial

Options
2»

Comments

• BillNBob
    BillNBob Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up with Experian free a few years ago and knew I couldnt do it again.

However as my financial situation had changed, I was curious as to what my file said so signed up again and paid, it was actually 3 months subscription as they couldnt get the info right.
    Personal info was wrong regarding addresses, associations etc

I called them to cancel and was asked if I had requested a CCJ be removed by the court, I said I wasnt bothered as I knew it was paid and had the paperwork, I was told if I extended my membership, paying only 7.99 they would do this and I could view my file to see it was done.

I could never view my file, there was always an error, I tried to call, put on hold and sent numerous emails to customer services.
    Finally spoke to someone, said I couldnt view the file and was told the dates I had entered on my addresses were incorrect and that was what the error was.
    This was rubbish, the dates he quoted I would not have entered.
    Said I still couldnt view the corrected file and wanted to cancel.
    Was told for £1.99 I could extend and view the corrected file, said I didnt want to do this, he was quite aggressive and tried to pressure me into it.
    I have sent lots of emails to them about this with no replies, I still cant view the file so really I have paid over £50 to them for nothing. I cant even view the old file.
    For a company that is deemed to support, they do the opposite.
    Totally disillusioned with them, dont fall for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i`ve never bother with these agencies,but out of interest recently signed up with noddle for free(not a trial)and was surprised at 1)how detailed it was and 2)how accurate
  • Fizzy_Fish
    Fizzy_Fish Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 6:25PM
    Options
    I wish I'd seen this before! I also signed up for what I thought was a free trial, and cancelled within the time period, only to find that I'd been charged £14.99!

During the sign up process I realised that I'd had an account in the past (5 yrs ago), however I genuinely thought the trial was still valid, as previously I had used a different service and I don't recall it being free. Throughout the trial sign-up process I didn't see anywhere that the offer was only for new customers.

I'm really annoyed about this - I am usually careful to read all the small print and really feel like I've been conned.

Their customer services dept were also unhelpful and repeatedly said that I knew I was giving details for payment (which I did, but thought I would be refunded if I cancelled during the free trial period), and that obviously I'd had an account in the past (again, which I had realised but didn't think it was an issue).

Yet they were unable to point out anywhere where it clearly and openly states that the trial is only available to people who have never been a customer before.

Having scanned the web I'm clearly not the only one who fell foul of this. Can MSE put a warning note on their credit check guide so that others don't end up paying out when they aren't expecting it?
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure what has changed because it used to be blindingly obvious only about 6 months ago: You would sign up for the free trial again and it would say our records show that you have already had a free trial but would you like to pay £14.99 for a subscription? Simply answer no
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fizzy_Fish wrote: »
    I wish I'd seen this before! I also signed up for what I thought was a free trial, and cancelled within the time period, only to find that I'd been charged £14.99!

During the sign up process I realised that I'd had an account in the past (5 yrs ago), however I genuinely thought the trial was still valid, as previously I had used a different service and I don't recall it being free. Throughout the trial sign-up process I didn't see anywhere that the offer was only for new customers.

I'm really annoyed about this - I am usually careful to read all the small print and really feel like I've been conned.

Their customer services dept were also unhelpful and repeatedly said that I knew I was giving details for payment (which I did, but thought I would be refunded if I cancelled during the free trial period), and that obviously I'd had an account in the past (again, which I had realised but didn't think it was an issue).

Yet they were unable to point out anywhere where it clearly and openly states that the trial is only available to people who have never been a customer before.

Yadee, yadee, ya.

You clearly knew you'd previously had an account and got caught trying to play a fast one. You even wrote "During the sign up process I realised that I'd had an account in the past (5 yrs ago)."

Their website "clearly and openly states" the free trial is available to new customers only. It's mentioned on their home page:
    *Monthly fee applies after free trial, new customers only. Free trial period starts on registration — further ID verification may be required to access full service which may take up to 5 days.

And the print isn't even small.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport