Credit Expert by Experian - 30 day "Free" trial

Options
Please don't be duped into thinking you can sign up for the 30 day free trial with Experian if you've been a customer at any point in the past.

I signed up through the (huge) banner on their website and was allowed to sign up for the service even though I wasn't eligible. It said in the small print not that I wasn't eligible but that it was going to charge the credit card. I missed it.

A very interesting conversation with one of their staff uncovered that he receives multiple complaints on a weekly basis.

Highly unethical practice by a company you'd expect more from.

Comments

• Alex_LS
    Alex_LS Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    There's an asterisk which points to a statement including the words "new customers only". That's actually a lot clearer than something like LoveFilm which doesn't tell you up front unless you open the Ts&Cs.
  • cos_2
    cos_2 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for pointing this out. People need to remember that Experian is a huge, international, money-making enterprise. It doesn't exist out of any sense of public duty. It's after your cash!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It clearly says when you go to re-activate that you will be charged
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Kinrao
    Kinrao Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Alex_LS wrote: »
    There's an asterisk which points to a statement including the words "new customers only". That's actually a lot clearer than something like LoveFilm which doesn't tell you up front unless you open the Ts&Cs.

Nowhere does the asterisk on the front page refer to anything on that page or the page behind it.

It mentions the charge when you enter your card details for verification but it's not clear at all that you're not eligible for the free trial.
  • Alex_LS
    Alex_LS Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.creditexpert.co.uk/

"Sign up for your free 30-day trial*"

"*Monthly fee applies after free trial, new customers only. Free trial period starts on registration — further ID verification may be required to access full service which may take up to 5 days."
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Does sound like you tried to pull a fast one and got caught out.
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Dr_Cuckoo3 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    Kinrao wrote: »
    A very interesting conversation with one of their staff uncovered that he receives multiple complaints on a weekly basis.

very interesting zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Credit Expert offer a full refund within 14 days anyway - so are you letting them keep the money ? :p
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    when I try to login, it gives me a renew your membership button
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • tomsco
    tomsco Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    Kinrao wrote: »
    Please don't be duped into thinking you can sign up for the 30 day free trial with Experian if you've been a customer at any point in the past.

I signed up through the (huge) banner on their website and was allowed to sign up for the service even though I wasn't eligible. It said in the small print not that I wasn't eligible but that it was going to charge the credit card. I missed it.

Your trying to take advantage by getting a service intended for new customers only, when you are not a new customer. Highly unethical practice for someone calling others unethical.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    They could perhaps make the fact that you'll be charged more obvious. This would decrease complaints & refunds. Not everyone remembers they signed up 10 years previous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure