Wireless Coverage (Internet)

Options
I have currently with Sky for my broadband and have their basic modem. The problem i have is that the wireless works in the room in which the modem is in, but any other room in the household i do not get any wireless coverage.

Can anybody suggest what would be the best way to increase the signal, can i make do with some kind of internet booster, if so what? or do i need to change the modem and if so to what. Do sky have a better one i don't know about?.

It may be a simple to some but i am not that great when it comes to wireless sort of things.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sky have a "n" router, but I think they charge for it.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've the Wireless N router don't notice any difference in performance to the old Sagemcom F@st2504, although its got a shiny case.

Maybe your router is not ideally located to cover the house or you have thick walls. Is it located away from any sources of interference?
    Might be worth trying a different wireless channel. You could scan for conflicting signals with inSSIDer.
    If that fails you could look at homeplugs, they also make wireless extenders.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-W307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Wireless/dp/B004KPLKO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340823480&sr=8-1
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One simple thing that may help is to position the modem/router as high as possible (eg on top of a bookcase or other tall furniture) in the room.

Otherwise you probably need some sort of WiFi extender.

Scrounger
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2012 at 9:31AM
    Options
    It would help if you said what wireless router you are currently using (it's not a modem, it's an ADSL router). A better one than the standard Sky issue might help.
    Failing that, Homeplugs are the obvious solution, as penryhn stated.
    What kind of wireless device are you tryng to connect to at the other end? If it's a USB wireless dongle, again there are better options, or try a USB extender. More info needed really.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • skyinsider
    skyinsider Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    When I was with sky I dealy a lot with wireless issues. Like others have said - your issue is likely to be the location of your router. You need to ensure that it is away from:
    - Circuit breakers/ circuit boxes
    - Bodies of water (water tanks/ fish tanks etc)
    - Anything that emits a wireless signal (eg. Wireless telephone bases, wireless door chimes)
    - Any 'masses' of cable. If you have a wall with a number of cables running through it, that will effect the signal.

Wireless routers emit a radio signal (what links to your computer). The signal strength lessens with each and every wall it passes through. You need to try and place your router in the mid-way point of all your devices to get the best results. Remember, the older the house - the thicker the walls - the bigger effect on the signal. The newer the house, the better the insulation, the bigger effect on the signal.

In such cases, it is not always the case that the router is the weak point - it can be the receiving equipment too. Take a look at your equipment and ensure it is suitable. If you live in an old home with thicker walls, i would recommend HomePlugs.
    My user name is SkyInsider... I worked for Sky quite some time ago, also worked for Virgin Media and a few other tech companies as a consultant. All views are my own ;)
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    I've the Wireless N router don't notice any difference in performance to the old Sagemcom F@st2504, although its got a shiny case.

Maybe your router is not ideally located to cover the house or you have thick walls. Is it located away from any sources of interference?
    Might be worth trying a different wireless channel. You could scan for conflicting signals with inSSIDer.
    If that fails you could look at homeplugs, they also make wireless extenders.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-W307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Wireless/dp/B004KPLKO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340823480&sr=8-1

In the brief periods where we get sky wireless, we've actually found the range on the n router worse than the older model - and that's post issues. Used to be able to pick up wireless in our kitchen (about 10m from router). Can't get it now.

Homeplugs could help.
    Data protection is there for you, not for companies to hide behind
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    but any other room in the household i do not get any wireless coverage.
    Are you carrying a laptop between rooms, or failing to connect other computers elsewhere.
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    ... (it's not a modem, it's an ADSL router).
    Sorry, I always though it was an ADSL modem/router?

Will it work without the modem part then?

Scrounger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport