Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

MSE News: Hidden carers miss out on £1,000s in benefits help

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Hidden carers miss out on £1,000s in benefits help

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
64 replies 12.1K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
"Many who look after friends or family are entitled to benefits and other practical support from councils and charities..."
«134567

Replies

  • sjg1950sjg1950 Forumite
    9 posts
    I have been a carer for over 10 years. Last year i applied to my local council for an assessment. It took 6 months for them to phone back and make an assessment over the phone. i did get a small grant to help me have a bit more time for myself, but to do this I have to spend time on paperwork, not so good. Also, as for carers allowance, even if you look after more than one person, the claim can only be based on one persons needs, so make sure you base it on the person with the greatest need
  • what I would like to know is would people care for their own relatives if there wasn't Gov money for it?
    When your life is a mess, stop and think what you are doing before bringing more kids into it, it's not fair on them.
    GLAD NOT TO BE A MEMBER OF THE "ENTITLED TO " UNDER CLASS
  • LunaLadyLunaLady Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Soapn wrote: »
    what I would like to know is would people care for their own relatives if there wasn't Gov money for it?

    I care for my own son, I dont receive any help, no respite (we qualified and then funding was cut so we were left with nothing). He is awake most of the night, needs everything doing for him and although he is 7 now I dont see it getting any better.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soapn wrote: »
    what I would like to know is would people care for their own relatives if there wasn't Gov money for it?

    Yes, I would still care for my severely disabled son. I don't do it for the money, I do it because I love him and he is my child. However, I cannot work and CA helps the family financially. I don't have a husband any more, as he decided to start a new family elsewhere, so unfortunately I have to rely on the state for benefits. I was the first person in my family to claim benefits (not including child benefit or maternity pay). My daughter did claim JSA for two months, until she was able to get a job. When I had to claim, after my (now ex) husband left, I cried with shame. I still feel some shame that I have to claim benefits, but my son needs considerable care during the day and several times overnight.

    It would cost the state considerably more if my son was put into care.
  • LunaLadyLunaLady Forumite
    1.6K posts

    It would cost the state considerably more if my son was put into care.

    Well said!

    Also we have the problem that my son has no dx and therefore doesnt 'fit' anywhere.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • clemmatisclemmatis Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Soapn wrote: »
    what I would like to know is would people care for their own relatives if there wasn't Gov money for it?

    Yes. I did. Many people do. I lost a lot of money as a result. I thought I wasn't eligible for Carer's Allowance (because of course, it's heavily means tested) but it seems I may have been, briefly; however, £58.45 a week would really not have gone anywhere near making up what I lost and more importantly, is far less than what carers would have cost the state.

    It is pretty awful that people like kingfisherblue are given such a pathetically small amount of money for their caring work.
  • LunaLadyLunaLady Forumite
    1.6K posts
    CA is given if you care for someone for 35 hours a week isnt it.

    £233 (current CA) / 35 / 4 = £1.66 an hour (at a maximum).

    Its not exactly the most money making venture is it soapn - It must be about the love then!
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • clemmatis wrote: »

    It is pretty awful that people like kingfisherblue are given such a pathetically small amount of money for their caring work.

    Whilst I have some sympathy with this sentiment, it's only fair to say that someone in the same situation will receive considerably more in benefits than just the £58 CA. Once you add in IS/DLA/CB/CTC/LHA/HB/CTB the support package is substantial. (As it should be).

    It doesn't help your argument to ignore these facts.
  • clemmatisclemmatis Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Whilst I have some sympathy with this sentiment, it's only fair to say that someone in the same situation will receive considerably more in benefits than just the £58 CA. Once you add in IS/DLA/CB/CTC/LHA/HB/CTB the support package is substantial. (As it should be).

    It doesn't help your argument to ignore these facts.

    Oh yes, that's true. It's CA alone that's pitiful.
  • Soapn wrote: »
    what I would like to know is would people care for their own relatives if there wasn't Gov money for it?

    Who in their right mind would do it for the money? 60 quid a week or so?! Seriously? I wonder if some people fully appreciate the economic disadvantage that goes with being a carer, never mind all the other issues....
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support