Snail poison :( :(

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
15 replies 1.8K views
Soot2006Soot2006 Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I have lost half my garden this year and really struggling with slugs and snails.

For the first time I just cracked and bought a box of poison. Used it really sparingly in a few key locations, while continuing to collect them by hand as well. This morning I found two dead slow worms near my shed :( I just know I killed them. Beautiful adults :(:( Am so upset and seems like I can't win. I don't even want to kill the snails, I don't want to kill anything. But I've lost most of my young veg, which we grow because we manage to save money in the summer, all my sunflowers, all my marigolds, pretty much everything has been tasted. Just don't know what to do any more :(.

Replies

• lily117lily117 Forumite
    609 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Don't feel bad, think many of us are in the same boat. I lost most things last year and well on the way again this year. Have bought a packet of slug pellets myself and don't see any other option as I have also tried all the other deterrents such as the tape and eggshells, grit etc, the pesky things still manage to devour everything.
  • Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get organic slug pellets that are supposed to be safe for wildlife I think. try googling it.

Please don't tell me this is what you used......
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Sambucus_NigraSambucus_Nigra Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can get organic slug pellets that are supposed to be safe for wildlife I think. try googling it.

Please don't tell me this is what you used......

Ditto.....
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Soot2006Soot2006 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using the organic ones for weeks - no dead slow worms ... and not much reduction in slugs, either :(.

I put out a sprinkle of metaldehyde ones. I know they are dangerous and I used very sparingly in hard to reach locations, thinking of birds, hedgehogs, cats, etc ... didn't think of the slow worms, because I've never seen a slow worm in the garden before!

Got more organic ones now and will continue hand picking them and salting, etc ... ... It's hard not to feel bad. I love the idea of having slow worms in the garden! But I also need to eat this summer and the snails/slugs are taking everything ... Blidding dilemna! Never known them this bad.
  • http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4031_rid-snails-slugs.html

Some good tips on here.....if you haven't tried them already.
  • mary-opmary-op Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Someone on a radio programme said she uses porridge oats (uncooked I assume) and sprinkles them around the plants at risk. Never tried it -yet but might have a go. We're being attacked this year
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, would you please reply and tell us the type of pellets you used.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • laaljockylaaljocky Forumite
    90 Posts
    I also heard the porridge oats idea on the radio and started using them on Monday in the greenhouse. So far they do seem to be working.
    Married 29th Feb 2012 :beer:
    Determined to lose lbs and save £'s ;)
    30 day shred started 4th June 2012 - Days completed 15 :eek:
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I heard thst the organic pellets contain a lot of bran so that probably works like the porridge oats...
    I have to say that I wasn't impressed with them and went back to the blue pellets :(
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Soot2006Soot2006 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    OP, would you please reply and tell us the type of pellets you used.

It's in my second post - metaldehyde
    .... the ones I'd promised myself never to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals