What Benefits are we entitled to?

Options
Hi all,

Anyone with any info would be well appreciated.

I'm in full employment earning 14.4k per annum. My girlfriend has been claiming incapacity benefit long-term, she gets about 3.5k a year. We have about 18k per year household income. My girlfreind has a 2yr old daughter, the father is not around and doesnt see her, nor pays ANYTHING! We are expecting our 1st child together in August :)

We claim Child tax credit, we get £67 a month.

He have been told we are not entitled to anything else...Is this correct? I dont understand why my supervisor at work is entitled to a NHS tax exemption card when he is on more money than me. This is the same for my sister and her boyfreind, there household income is way higher than ours!

Is it because my girlfreind claims incapacity benefit? Or is the sytem just a joke?

Or am I just moaning becuase it doesnt seem fair that some people who dont dont do everything above board become rich and have free housing. Or am I peeved because other people who earn more than 'us' are entitled to more.....

Thanks..

Comments

• T4i
    T4i Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, if the relevent people do ever deicide to catch up with the biological father how much can we expect? They have his N.I number and NOW we have even got them his place of work. This department is a joke too!

Knowing he is on £12/hour with about 5 other abondened kids. Would it be like £1 a week? Or is it going to help us actualy pay for shoes and clothes?

Thanks again...
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    T4i wrote:
    Or am I just moaning becuase it doesnt seem fair that some people who dont dont do everything above board become rich and have free housing. Or am I peeved because other people who earn more than 'us' are entitled to more.....

Yes you are moaning! Forget what other people have or haven't got and look at your situation. This NHS site looks at who is entitled to help with health care costs.

Who are "the relevant people"? Do you mean CSA? If you look under "Useful Links" which is a sticky at the top of this board, there are sites there that may help you.

You could take all your income info for this and the last tax year to a Citizens Advice Bureau to check if you are receiving the correct amounts.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • T4i
    Options
    Your entitlements
    Final tax credit award 2004/05

Child Tax Credit (annual): £2,778.65
    Working Tax Credit (annual): £0
    Weekly amounts

If you have not yet claimed your tax credit entitlement please go to how to claim tax credits.

If you already get tax credits please go to information for existing claimants on 2004/05 awards.

Council Tax and Housing Benefit

Council Tax Benefit (per week): £0
    Housing Benefit (per week): £0

The estimates presented use 2004/05 Council Tax and Housing Benefit rates. More information is available on April 2004 changes in benefit rates.

If you are a private sector tenant please see more information on Housing Benefit rent rules.

If you have not already applied please go to how to claim.

Other entitlements

You may be able to claim various other benefits and entitlements:

You are entitled to Child Benefit.

Your child could qualify for an Education Maintenance Allowance if they are aged 16-19.

To find out what else you may be able to claim please go to other entitlements.

We get CR TAX CREDITS 68.10/month.

????
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would use the Tax Credit calculator available on the Inland Revenue website:

https://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx
  • T4i
    Options
    Based on the information you have entered, your household may be entitled to the following tax credits award:-
    Child Tax Credit £41.72
    Childcare element of Working Tax Credit £0.00
    Sub total £41.72
    Working Tax Credit (less the childcare element of Working Tax Credit) £72.17
    Note: The childcare element of Working Tax Credit will always be paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children, alongside payments of Child Tax Credit.
    Total £113.89
    This result is only an estimate and is based on the information provided assuming you make the claim on 30/03/2005. This may change when your claim is processed and in certain circumstances may be paid from an earlier date (up to a maximum of 3 months) where you (or your partner if it is a joint claim) satisfied the requirements for entitlement.

......what does this all mean? is that a week? a month?
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the IR website will tell you how much you'll get until the end of this tax year (next week is it?), entitledto tells you how much you will get over the year. i don't know why you're getting more tax credit than entitledto says. as for free healthcare i think you get that if you get working tax credit (not just the child tax credit, to get working tax credit you have to be on less than a certain amount between you). when they messed up our claim last year and set our incomes to zero they gave us working tax credits and automatically sent us a card for free healthcare, we weren't entitled to it so didn't use it.
    52% tight
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    I would really recommend going to CAB or other Welfare Benefits advisor, because the trouble with these online calculators is that you need to know how to interpret them and to recognise if you have made a mistake using them. They might help as a rough guide, but if you need to know exactly where you stand, you should back up with a real person.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think free NHS healthcare is only for households on less that £14K a year, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • irs101
    irs101 Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    T4i

What did you put into entitledto? According to my quick calculations your current award looks about right for a family with 1 child on your level of income (perhaps a little bit low, but it depends on you precise details). The answer you got from entitledto looks more like the level I would expect for two children.

From August (assuming the same income level as this year) you will get a full additional child element of £4.64 a day (£1,690 a year), plus you'll get an additional £547.50 for one year (the baby addition).

But I agree with Fran, because of the additional complication of your girlfirend's incapacity benefit, I would check with the CAB.

irs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport