MSE News: Firms charge existing customers, but not new customers, to call

Options
"Many banks, insurers and energy companies operate a two-tier telephone system, penalising loyal customers ..."

Comments

• edo
    edo Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Tip : for banks and credit cards - use the 'phone from abroad' number - missing off the 44 country code of course - this is usually just a normal geographic number with a normal call charge
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So what?

A few pence on phone calls is next to nothing compared to new customer discounts and other incentives many firms offer to bring in the business.

Must be a really quiet news day.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slightly off topic but what is it with that weird photograph of the disturbing, androgynous, wally (or wallette) who does not understand the basic principles of using a telephone handset?
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Time to give a plug for www.saynoto0870.com
  • frasr
    frasr Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    the companies pay different rates to their telco provider depending on the type of number 0800,0845,etc selected. Some of the more expensive charges made to callers can provide a revenue share to the company you call so its actually generating money for the bank or other organisation if the caller is kept waiting.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Which is why I always opt for an 0800 number if www.SayNoTo0870.com has one and then talk my way through to whom I want to contact. It nearly always works.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    edo wrote: »
    Tip : for banks and credit cards - use the 'phone from abroad' number - missing off the 44 country code of course - this is usually just a normal geographic number with a normal call charge
    Good advice most of the time, but there are exceptions.

British Airways have a number for calling from outside the UK - 0191 490 7901 - but try to use this and your call is met by a recorded message saying to use the 0844 number :(, and of course you have paid for the call. :mad:

And Halifax does the same when I call to tell them I may be using my credit card outside the UK. :(
  • Gemtree
    Gemtree Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This is just unfair, if they can give 0800 numbers to new customers then they can to existing customers.

Come on companies, buck your ideas up.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Roger1 wrote: »
    And Halifax does the same when I call to tell them I may be using my credit card outside the UK. :(
    Did that myself yesterday (SAGA credit card) and talked my way through via the 0800 sales line. On that occasion, a friendly, "Oh heck, have I dialled the wrong number, I want to ....." worked a treat.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll be trying the prefix 141 next time I have a fail. This withholds my number. It might work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure