PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing potatoes

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I make roast potatoes in batches and freeze them in portions. I cook them slightly less than I normally would and then give them 20 minutes in a hot oven to crisp them up again.

Pink
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Great idea - thanks for that - my freezer will be groaning again
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bought some baby new potatoes for sunday but forgot all about them. Can I pop them whole in the frewezer and later boil them? they wont go all mushy on me wil they?
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    I should think they will :D I'm not sure why you would need to freeze raw potoatoes. Potatoes are a veg that store well, particularly if you buy home grown main crop spuds which are cheap at the moment.

I must say I'm a bit surprised anyone would want new pots at this time of year. They must have travelled a long way :)
  • skim
    skim Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    don't think you can freeze potatoes without cooking them first.
  • Bambam
    Bambam Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    I have frozen boiled new potatoes before, but not very successfully. They broke up after defrosting. Maybe I shouldn't have boiled them to within an inch of their lives :rotfl:
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Just thought you'd like to know:)

Tesco baby new pots - 98 p per kg
    Tesco value pots - 30p per kg
    Farmshop 20 kg sack of Marfona spuds - 25p kg (and they're much better quality than Tesco value ;) )
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I've been buying the large Tesco Value bags of potatoes to make chips/wedges/mash with but I don't always get tot he bottom of the bag before they go funny. I don't have an especially dark place to store them at them moment so I expect that's why they go so quickly.

Can I freeze raw potato that's cut into chip/wedges shapes and do I need to cook them first? When I want to use them can I oven them like shop bought ones?

Can you freeze mash?

Thanks as always
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Shortie,

I don't think you can freeze potatoes as they are but if you cook them usually they can be frozen. I always make roast potatoes in batches and freeze them and apparently you can make mash and freeze it with good results.

This older thread might give you some ideas for using them up:

Loads of potatoes, need ideas please??

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills