Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• MissNobody
    Options
    Yes I got my money, had to make a trip into the branch, went in on a Saturday, funds were in my account on the Wednesday.
    Wasn't too painful and I know what I will have to do in future now!
  • SuperOwl86
    Options
    Principality BS E-ISA 2 - 2.80% :starmod: NEW :starmod:
    Rate guarantee? No. Rate effective from: 25/08/2010.
    Minimum deposit: £1. Operated via: Internet.
    Important: Rate includes a 1.00% bonus for 12 months from account opening.

Just seen the above in the opening post, just wondering how i would go about opening account with them but to transfer my current isa from Halifax to them?

Any help would be great.
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    SuperOwl86 wrote: »
    Principality BS E-ISA 2 - 2.80% :starmod: NEW :starmod:
    Rate guarantee? No. Rate effective from: 25/08/2010.
    Minimum deposit: £1. Operated via: Internet.
    Important: Rate includes a 1.00% bonus for 12 months from account opening.

Just seen the above in the opening post, just wondering how i would go about opening account with them but to transfer my current isa from Halifax to them?

Go to the Prinicipality website and click "Apply now". At the bottom of the first page of the application process, it says: "Please note: if you intend to transfer your ISA from another provider to the e-ISA Issue 2, information on how to do this can be found at the end of the application process, alternatively download the form here." (the "here" downloads an application form).
  • SuperOwl86
    Options
    Thank you thought i was going mad, all i got was a transfer form and no address but managed to find it now.
  • em238
    Options
    Hello to all,

I am new here and hope this thread is the right one for my question.

Why is the NS&I Direct ISA rarely considered in 'best of' ISA lists or mentioned in ISA related discussions?

The rate is not too bad (2.5%) and there seems to be no bonus element.

Not a bad offer in my view, but I can hardly find information or recommendations.

Do I miss something - or is it a good deal (I consider to invest in one this year).

Cheers!
    em238
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    em238 wrote: »
    Hello to all,

I am new here and hope this thread is the right one for my question.

Why is the NS&I Direct ISA rarely considered in 'best of' ISA lists or mentioned in ISA related discussions?

Not a bad offer in my view, but I can hardly find information or recommendations.

Do I miss something - or is it a good deal (I consider to invest in one this year).

Cheers!
    em238

Nothing wrong with with the NS&I ISA, just does not make the best buy list, a few offer slightly more interest, so push it down the list.
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    em238 wrote: »

Cheers!
    em238

Hi em238,

The NS&I cash ISA has featured amongst the ISAs listed on the first page on a number of occasions since the thread was first created. However, there are now ISAs in this category that pay higher rates of interest and therefore the NS&I ISA doesn't quite make the list. I tend to add ISAs that pay 2.60% and above to this section.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Think it would be good to have another category on the front page of this invaluable thread for accounts that don't have a 'bonus' applied.

NSI & Egg both have 2.5% accounts with no bonus. IMHO these beat the table topping 2.7% AA account as you don't have the potential loss of interest and hassle of changing accounts each year.
  • KingL
    KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Options
    Variable rate accounts without bonuses almost always just drop the rate after a year as well, so the effect is really the same whether there is a formal 'bonus' or not. And they can slash the rate whenever they want (e.g. 2 months after you opened it)

Unless you are going fixed-rate for 2,3 years, there is little you can do to avoid having to change accounts each year. :(
  • easilyconfused_2
    Options
    When my wife opened an A&L fixed rate ISA last March (transfer-in), she was told she could add to it (obviously up to £5100 in any one tax year). She added £500 this tax year (July), but when she tried to add more (but still well below her ISA allowance) earlier this month it was rejected (i.e. the payment was returned to her bank). On enquiring, she was told that she couldn't add funds because it was a fixed rate ISA (even though she was told she could and had done so in July!) Does anyone know if the rules have changed since the changeover to Santander? Or are A&L as useless as ever?

Am I right in assuming she can now open a new ISA with another provider to use up the rest of this year's allowance, even though the A&L ISA runs until next year? No doubt she would be penalized if she transferred out of A&L before the end of the fixed term.

Any advice would be welcome.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure