Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Tesco offer on PV panels

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
24 replies 3.9K views
BlaketonBlaketon Forumite
32 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
According to the Tesco website:

20% off Solar Electricity Systems

Tesco Solar Summer!

20% off all Solar Electricity systems to the end of July 2012!

Get a 3.92kWp systems for just £6,799.20!

Solar electricity systems use energy from the sun and convert this into electricity, which can then be used in the home with the excess exported to the National Grid.
Why switch to solar electricity?
  • Generate electricity from converted solar energy
  • Earn up to £706.64 in FiT payment per year*
  • Total tax-free income from FiT and export £33,980 after 25 years*
  • Reduce your CO2 emissions
  • Improve your home’s Energy Performance Certificate
  • PLUS Green Clubcard points with every purchase!
Does this seem a good deal, anybody?

Replies

• beanybeany Forumite
    349 Posts
    Blaketon wrote: »
    According to the Tesco website:

20% off Solar Electricity Systems

Tesco Solar Summer!

20% off all Solar Electricity systems to the end of July 2012!

Get a 3.92kWp systems for just £6,799.20!

Solar electricity systems use energy from the sun and convert this into electricity, which can then be used in the home with the excess exported to the National Grid.
    Why switch to solar electricity?
    • Generate electricity from converted solar energy
    • Earn up to £706.64 in FiT payment per year*
    • Total tax-free income from FiT and export £33,980 after 25 years*
    • Reduce your CO2 emissions
    • Improve your home’s Energy Performance Certificate
    • PLUS Green Clubcard points with every purchase!
    Does this seem a good deal, anybody?

I also saw this and wondered if it was a good deal, can anyone help please?
  • rogerblackrogerblack Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    beany wrote: »
    I also saw this and wondered if it was a good deal, can anyone help please?

Maybe.
    Do you have a southfacing (within 45 degrees anyway) roof, which is unshaded throughout the day?

Are you fairly certain you're not going to be moving in the next 10 years?

Do you have the money spare, or can get a loan at very low rates? (added to a mortgage, for example).
    Will your house pass with a good enough energy rating to qualify?

If all of these are true, then the answer is probably yes.
    The 33980 figure is a bit optimistic, and it assumes high inflation in the price of electricity.

But payback in a little under 10 years or so is not unlikely.
  • DevilsAdvocate1DevilsAdvocate1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We've been thinking of getting solar as our electic bills are astronomical. I have an offset mortgage so could borrow at a low rate from the overpayment fund.

The front of the house is South East facing and the back is Northwest, though there is nothing to cast a shadow over the roof and our back garden has sun from around 11am. The shadow in the back garden is cast by our house.

The thing which puts me off solar is I don't know how much to expect to pay and I worry that the salesmen will arrive and then refuse to leave. We've had salesmen do this to us before. With Tesco I would feel happier about doing it I think.

D.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello DA1, if it's helpful a group of us put this thread together to give general advice on PV:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3872445

and to pull some of the many PV threads together.

It shy's away from prices, as they change too quickly, vary considerably, and the thread isn't there to persuade, just to inform.

There have been a few recent threads discussing prices and quotes, which would be well worth a read:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3972049

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3970761

If you're thinking seriously about 'going for it', a few quick points,

FITs rates reduce on the 1/8/12 so it would be worth getting started now, in case you decide to go ahead.

Don't be intimidated the installers can't do anything for 7 days after you order anyway, so you have plenty of time to cancel.

Use this site to ask for advice and comments on the quotes you get. People will be very quick and honest if they think the figures are high.

Current prices, got to be careful here, so a very rough guesstimate around £7k for a large 4kWp system (hope for less), maybe £4k to £5k for a 2kWp system. And every combination inbetween.

For you, you'd want to use your SE roof, your garden may get the sun for most of the day, but is it shining on the NW roof? There is a difference.

If you need more help just ask. With a small amount of roof and location info it should be possible to give you a pretty good guess at annual income.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thing which puts me off solar is I don't know how much to expect to pay and I worry that the salesmen will arrive and then refuse to leave. We've had salesmen do this to us before. With Tesco I would feel happier about doing it I think.D.

From the (very briefly outlined) figures quoted, it looks like a 10% return on investment - although you really need an individual quotation to see if that's true for your house or just some 'ideal' house.

More than one quotation is also highly recommended. Absolutely no need to be intimidated by salesmen who won't leave. Ask them politely to go when you've had enough of them; point out that failure to leave is (a) trespass and (b) an absolute guarantee that you won't be dealing with them; if they still won't go, have some big burly neighbour drop by to throw them out.

One advantage that I can see with dealing with a large organisation like Tesco is that you can be reasonably certain they'll still be around if you ever need to invoke their warranty. "Bodgitt & Runn (estab 2011) " don't have quite the same air of permanence !
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • Kernel_SandersKernel_Sanders Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The front of the house is South East facing and the back is Northwest, though there is nothing to cast a shadow over the roof and our back garden has sun from around 11am. The shadow in the back garden is cast by our house.
    If the rear of your house faces NW then these details about your back garden are irrelevant.
  • beanybeany Forumite
    349 Posts
    We have some-one coming tomorrow to give a quote.
    Would like an 'idiots' quide for questions we should ask, if you would be so kind.
  • edited 4 July 2012 at 4:49PM
    Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 July 2012 at 4:49PM
    Would like an 'idiots' quide for questions we should ask, if you would be so kind.

Hello Beany, I was going to direct you to the FAQ thread as there's a link to a brilliant tip sheet from Which, with about 20 questions to ask or check off. But I just tried the link and the sheet has gone.

Before I and others re-invent the wheel, did anyone happen to download a copy? I've scanned through my various 'solar' folders but can't find a copy.

Or, from the link, can anyone find it on the Which site, I tried - epic fail! Seems odd that it's gone completely.

Edit: Found it, new link, will update the FAQ thread too:

http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/solar-pv-checklist-pdf-269629.pdf

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Beany, trying to think what else to ask for.

If you plan to invite opinions on here afterwards, I'd suggest the following:

Total roof measurements.
    Panel numbers, make and model.
    Suggested inverter.
    Price and price variations, eg black frames, alternate panels, etc.

The salesman may only give a rough guide to kWp, and make models, prices etc will follow, once their system designer has had a go, but from a fairly accurate roof size, it should be possible to guesstimate panel numbers, if only to check if the sales bod is over estimating. You may find that 'sales bod' has some design software with him (or her), to help work out the fit.

I don't know how you are pushed for time (August looming) for multiple sales visits, but by the second one you'll start to become an expert.

Is there anyone nearby with a system, or a friend you can call. You could pop round for a chat which would probably help you get a better idea of what you need to know / ask.

Mart.

• beanybeany Forumite
    349 Posts
    Thank you Martyn1981 for all your help, we were feeling a bit nervous, not sure why.
    Now we have a better idea of what to ask and will 'report back' later for opions.
    Thank you again
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals