'Why do teenagers throw pennies in the bin?' blog discussion

Replies

• mkooomkooo Forumite
    329 Posts
    ✭✭
    Teenagers who don't care for change are not taught well, :P It does not matter if you need the money or not, it is just a basic thing that you grow up learning :P
  • taxiphiltaxiphil Forumite
    2K Posts
    On a similar note to the original question, it never ceases to amaze me how many young people buy those small bottles of Coke or Lucozade for about £1.20 each on a seemingly daily basis. I don't know whether it's a fashion thing, but I constantly see young people walking round with one of them glued to their right hand.

Most of these young people are in financial dire straits and face a terrible future, yet they can't see the poor value for money these fizzy drinks represent (£400+ a year if you buy one every day). Refill a bottle with diluted squash every day, and hey presto, you've saved enough money for a one week foreign holiday, but then I suppose it wouldn't be "cool" to do that.

Colleges and universities aren't helping matters by having extortionate privately run shops and coffee shops on campus, charging airport prices. Young people who've never had to buy their own food and drink before seem to think that £3 for a sandwich and £1.90 for a coffee is perfectly fine, as they know no different.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    taxiphil wrote: »
    Most of these young people are in financial dire straits and face a terrible future, yet they can't see the poor value for money these fizzy drinks represent (£400+ a year if you buy one every day). Refill a bottle with diluted squash every day, and hey presto, you've saved enough money for a one week foreign holiday, but then I suppose it wouldn't be "cool" to do that.
    I buy larger bottles (2l) of Pepsi Max when it's on offer and fill up a smaller bottle with this. I'd be ashamed of myself if I ever paid £1.20 for 500ml of something when I can get 2l for £1.

• Stuart Davies · Top Commenter
    When I get my dole cheque first thing I do is hit the corner shop for fags, then I go and blow the rest of it in the pub, if there's anything left I'll treat myself to a kebab. Whatevers left I just chuck on the floor, usually only a couple of quid, it's no use to me.

Trouble is for so many people this comment is true!
  • edited 28 June 2012 at 10:21AM
    rickbonarrickbonar
    448 Posts
    edited 28 June 2012 at 10:21AM
    Another point is the £1 is roughly worth what a shilling was worth in the 1950s. So £20 would the same buying power as an old £1.

There were farthings which were 48 to a shilling and so the modern penny is actually less.... probably less than the scrap metal value too.

Also did you know that the royal mint has been adding iron ore to coin mix making the "coppers" magnetic and subject to rusting whereas the cupro nickel ones aren't??
  • My daughters school has a cashless lunch system, 5ps don't go into the the machines to load their accounts, most pupils chuck 5p peices on the floor around the machines, my daughter picks them up, she then has treat money for on the way home. granted not saving, but not throwing away eigher.
  • Every penny is a prisoner if our house! Hubby and I drop all our change into a whisky bottle, but banks never seem to want to take the bags. I've come up with a clever change laundering plan as our local Barclays will take as much as you like as long as it's paid into a child's saver.

The plan is a little of a pain, but it works for us. Our children get £1-50 a week pocket money and are encouraged to save most of it in their piggy banks. Once every 6-8 weeks, we cash out their pounds back to mummy's wallet and swop it for the change out the bottle. They still pay their savings into their accounts, mummy gets more change for the next weeks pocket money and the change jar is emptied a little. It's win/win!

As for picking up a penny, yes I do. I have no shame :-)
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • buzbuzzbuzbuzz Forumite
    13 Posts
    I either say 'put the change in the charity box' if its no more than 10-20p or keep it in an old chocolates tin.

I used to regularly take it to the bank and pay it in a few times a year into my savings account, but these days so many banks only take £3 or £5 in one go, so it just becomes a pain, because it's either an hours walk into town, £1.70 on the bus or £1 fuel + 80p parking...I rarely go into our town.

So I end up at Christmas using the big cash machine thingy at Morrisons, where you throw in your money and it gives you a voucher.
  • I'm not a teenager but I hate copper coins.

I never used to be that bothered about what happened to them, but now my local sainsburys has self service machines I chuck them all in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides