'Why do teenagers throw pennies in the bin?' blog discussion

Replies

• heather66heather66 Forumite
    80 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    one day they will be looking for the coppers when they are short of 5p for their bus fares home lol

the ammount of loose change the council cleaners must find after the kids have been to the local chip shop // newsagents up our end is shocking .esp as they go twice a day at breaktime and luchtime .. the other week ..i found 23 p including 5p's when i walked by

...they might call us scroungers for picking it up from the street but it all adds up when you put it in a jar
  • trukdivertrukdiver Forumite
    747 Posts
    TeamMCS wrote: »
    Quite honestly, if a charity wanted to collect my coins in the same way they do with clothes then they're welcome to my pots of damn copper. At the moment they're serving as an excellent door stop.

They do. Most charity shops have a collection box for loose change. I also know sombody who goes around the pub, picking up abandoned change and puts it in the collection box on the bar...
  • MurphymycatMurphymycat Forumite
    197 Posts
    We have found car parks often have coins, especially round the ticket machines. Best one we found tiny car park back of beyond in Cornwall £1 which paid for our parking.

Do you think this reflects a cavalier attitude towards money? I bought a nice jacket at a car boot a while ago, it was a traders stall and he was selling everything for £1. There was nearly £3 of change in the pocket - he hadn't even bothered to check.:)
  • kids today eh?
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    walked past a group of teenage children waiting for their school bus this morning. They were stood in a shop foyer throwing pennies out on to the throughfare. As I reached my office, the school bus went past. I was so tempted to go back and pick up their unwanted small change!
  • Flat_Eric wrote: »
    walked past a group of teenage children waiting for their school bus this morning. They were stood in a shop foyer throwing pennies out on to the throughfare. As I reached my office, the school bus went past. I was so tempted to go back and pick up their unwanted small change!

Is that why you're now called FLAT Eric?

http://intobolivian.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/hit-by-bus1.jpg
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must admit that I don't particularly agree with financial education in schools anyway (if they won't listen to what the bank tells them, what makes you think they'll listen to teachers about it?) but I hardly think teenagers aren't aware of the value of a 1p coin and need to be taught it - they merely don't care.
  • FeyfangirlFeyfangirl Forumite
    431 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    trust me, as a teenager, I hang onto me pennies! :D
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes
  • torbrextorbrex
    71.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    What possible reason do you have for NOT going back to pick up the money?
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never having rncountered this before, I found the idea weird. Why would anyone throw money away!?

I used to be in a job, where I took money for deliveries - some were on account, and others cash. I often took for granted that they didn't want the penny change. I certainly wasn't going to say no!

Whilst, you can not buy anything for a penny, by keeping a selection of change, it's easier to give the right money, rather than get even more change.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide