PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou ikkle87 they look lovely. I'll give them a try for lunches, I have 3 pks of puff pastry in the freezer so I have everything in.

The rain here is torrential so today will be a no spend day unless it brightens up around 6pm when the reductions get done.

On Sunday we will be having toad in hole.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • money_saving_hedgehog
    Options
    Not posted for a few days, but am keen to keep up this challenge must try better to post everyday to keep me motivated.

I have however been very careful over the last few days, but it has been a case of I can not spend what I don't have.

Had three small spends at local express on milk, woopsies and drinks for packed lunches.

Did also have one NSD, think that is a first, so must try to have some more.

Total spend for July 5 days in is £8.02. Signature updated.
    £2015 in 2015 (Although actual goal is £10 a day)
  • Mrs_Addicted_to_Spending
    Options
    One more question please guys :)

I buy fresh fruit on a w/e and by thurs/fri it's getting past it's best. Any ideas of what I can put in the kids packed lunches for the last 2 days to keep fruit intake up without ahving to hit the shops again? I will try buying green bananas and hope they ripe in time/not too early....

I buy apples and grapes for the end of the week as they seem to last alright. I always keep bananas in a separate fruit bowl as they make all fruit ripen quicker. My two DSs like dates and tinned pineapple which is also useful by the end of the week.
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me please???...have been roped into the cake stall at LOs school next Friday...Need to make at least 4 chocolate cakes...always use sandwhich tins then layer with buttercream...can I make cakes in advance...say this weekend and freeze....then just defrost layer up and decorate on thursday night???

Never frozen them before so dont know if possible but I have a very busy week so hoping this will be possible xx TIA xx

My mum has always baked cakes and frozen them and they are fine.
    Savesummore - here's a link to this week's mealplan thread - I've got mine posted there so it may give you some ideas for your Sunday meal. :)

Am determined to have an NSD today!!!!!

HTH

K xx

Thanks for this Kitchenbunny - will give me some ideas too :)

Welcome back Florenceem - you have worked so hard you deserve a huge rest now :A.

I had planned macaroni cheese for tonight but that would mean going to shops for milk so I've had a look what we have in and have ham, bit of cheese and a couple of eggs so I'm going to make spaghetti carbonara instead. Before being on this thread I would have just gone for the milk and probably seen other things and bought them too. Now I try my best not to go to shops unless I really have to ;).
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    So I feel awful, this week I have completely lost the plot concerning money, I have no idea how much I've spent but I have £30 left to last untill the 15th!

I've just done a stock take to do some meal planning, and thankfully, we have food in the house, not alot!

But enough, a whole chicken, 10 slices of bacon, 6 sausages, fresh fish that i froze.

I feel like burrying my head in the sand! I have completley binged on both money and food this week! Not very frugal at all :( I think I was a bit excited over my new job, the problem is it hasn't started yet so still need to watch how I spend my money!! ERUGH :( Will check my bank balance later to asses where I spent all my money.
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • Soworried
    Options
    sb88 wrote: »
    So I feel awful, this week I have completely lost the plot concerning money, I have no idea how much I've spent but I have £30 left to last untill the 15th!

I've just done a stock take to do some meal planning, and thankfully, we have food in the house, not alot!

But enough, a whole chicken, 10 slices of bacon, 6 sausages, fresh fish that i froze.

I feel like burrying my head in the sand! I have completley binged on both money and food this week! Not very frugal at all :( I think I was a bit excited over my new job, the problem is it hasn't started yet so still need to watch how I spend my money!! ERUGH :( Will check my bank balance later to asses where I spent all my money.
    :j Congratulations on your new job :j

Don't bury your head, look at how good things are. You have a new job, you have enough food in if you cook properly, and you have a little bit of money for fresh stuff. :)

Just hide your purse now and the days will go buy with less spending. Sending you a hug x
    £36/£240
    £5522
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    GreenFairy wrote: »
    Maybe keep a few apples in the back of the fridge - helps them last the extra day or two. Dried fruit is always good though. Apricots are pretty awesome, really toffee-ish. Or maybe a teeny lock n lock pot of stewed apple or other fruit - could make them up on shopping day, pop them in the freezer. Just give them a good shake before putting them in the lunchbox to ensure even texture.

I have this paranoia over choking on apples. You may have seen in the news a few weeks ago a little girl (same age as my DD, 5, choked on an apples in a school local to me, my nephews friend...she died. So tragic and that's made my paranoia even worse. I could slice apples but they go brown so quickly don't they. Apricots though, there's an idea. Could chop them up. Also stewing the fruit is a lovely idea, no choking there :) Will get her to try some at home first see how she likes it. Thank you :T
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Have you seen the green bags? Lakeland do them, and they really help fruit and veg keep. Only things they haven't worked for me with is mushrooms and bananas, but if you keep green bananas separate from the ripening ones, they ripen much slower.

NSD grocery wise, but all these day trips are quite costly...

No I haven't seen these - will have a google. Thanks. :T
    dizzyditzy wrote: »
    Dried fruit or tinned fruit in juice. I used to make up mini jellies with tinned fruit in as an end of week treat. You could do cucumber or carrot sticks they'd last.
    I've just picked up 1.5kg bacon joint for £1.89 bargain:D problem is I don't need it and can't fit it in the freezers. I am so :mad: with myself I can't resist even though I don't need it. I'll cook it and carve to use for sandwiches.

Making jelly with fruit is a great idea - had never thought this myself. Thank you :D :T
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    I really wouldnt do this, I have a three day rule for things stored in the fridge. I would open the tuna and take half mix with salad cream, and freeze the other half to do the same 3 days later.

Edit, being nosey here Why do you hate opening Tuna?

Maybe this is just me but my pet hate is opening tinned tuna (we gets ours in brine) and it slopping all over the place whilst I try to squeeze the bring out. My tin opener take the top of the tin off flat instead of cutting into it if that makes sense, so you can't use the tin lid to squeeze the juice out. In fact - I will buy a new tin opener. However my point still stands, my hands always stink and I get in a right strop :rotfl: :):o
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    :j Congratulations on your new job :j

Don't bury your head, look at how good things are. You have a new job, you have enough food in if you cook properly, and you have a little bit of money for fresh stuff. :)

Just hide your purse now and the days will go buy with less spending. Sending you a hug x

Thanks! I needed that, just about to go to the shops , going to buy OH packed lunch for next week and some esssentials, if I go alone, I will spend alot less!! going to buy bread to freeze, ham for sandwhiches, and some fruit/vegetables for the week. I have done a meal plan! and I think we will be okay! I feel sooo silly!
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • Soworried
    Options
    sb88 wrote: »
    Thanks! I needed that, just about to go to the shops , going to buy OH packed lunch for next week and some esssentials, if I go alone, I will spend alot less!! going to buy bread to freeze, ham for sandwhiches, and some fruit/vegetables for the week. I have done a meal plan! and I think we will be okay! I feel sooo silly!
    You are not silly. Take a list with you and just buy what is on there. :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr S came last night with my first sm shop of the month. I made an error thought, I made bread for T because we didn't have much else in but the order didn't come till 8. It was only when bread was cooked I realised we had no butter. There is no way DD is going to eat HM bread with no butter. So went to the village shop and bought....butter, milk(? why ~ delivery coming) and highly processed and fattening chocolate puddings.

Local Shop£5.26, Mr S £93.36 (annoyed more expensive than the estimate - Mr T would have been cheaper even without the £12 off)
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing