Southernman's steps to freedom!

Options

Comments

• Southernman
    Southernman Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 August 2012 at 11:38PM
    Options
    I have been quiet recently. The main reason being i've been away on holiday with my friend to Italy.

It was done extremely cheaply and some of the places we stayed were very Fawlty Towers ish. We had to laugh!!

We did a bit of travelling and started off in Rome then moved up the country stopping at Florence and Venice with a day trip to Pisa thrown in!

Now the issue regarding the boyfriend. He has paid me back £250 so far and he is trying his best to get funds together to pay me more than i expected. At the rate he's going he'll have fully paid me back by December. He's had a serious think about what's happened regarding the gambling issues and is addressing them which is all i can ask. I am still disappointed about it but what's done is done and if it happens again i will be gone.

I'd like to think he'd put me before anything. I'm not stupid but i'm giving him a chance to prove himself. I can't really chuck away a 3 year relationship without acknowledging he'd made a mistake and is trying to rectify it. See how it goes but will keep you updated.

Now in other news, i got paid yesterday so it was another £100 towards the mortgage. I'm trying to save up a lump sum of £1000 to pay off. From my calculations this should be achievable by October. The reason for this is that it recalculates my mortgage and causes it to drop by £10 a month. If i continue to do this regularly until my fixed term is up in 2016 it will mean my monthly overpayments will rise by doing very little and if i was out of a job, it would be slightly more affordable for me.

At the moment i'm looking to buy a new fridge/freezer. The one i have came with the flat and is possibly 10 years old and always leaks and the freezer section is sooo small! It makes me angry and always freezes at the back of the fridge! It's smaller than me in height too (i'm 5'6) so i'm on the hunt!

Oh i forgot to mention, i'm starting up training for a half marathon now. I do run but usually only train for 10km runs so i'm trying to desperately improve my fitness. I miss fitting into a size 10, since i left uni i've gone up to a 12 and could do with losing half a stone. It's another challenge but i'm making progress. Ran 12km on wednesday and 10km today. My next big run will be a 14km one. Chafing is an issue though, between the thighs and dare i say it...? Yes the boobies, my nipples were so sore i couldn't wear a bra all evening after that!
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
  • ultrarunner
    Options
    You can get special plasters for your nipples, I've never tried them though as I use vaseline.

Regarding chafing, sudocreme always works for me, great to put on your feet as well to stop blisters.
    Mortgage May 2012 - £129k
    January 2015 - Mortgage down to £114k
    Target for 2015 to get down to £105k
  • Southernman
    Options
    Managed to run 14km tonight and best of all NO CHAFING ANYWHERE!

My aim is to get to around 18km and then work on my speed.

The more i do it the more confident i'll feel on the day of my half marathon. I'm just hoping i've given myself enough time.

Ps the horror of my clothes after running long distances is just disgusting. I have no idea how these people you see jogging on the street look so cool and trendy with their sweatbands etc. I look like a vile red faced sweaty haired slob!
  • sweetdaisy
    sweetdaisy Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Managed to run 14km tonight and best of all NO CHAFING ANYWHERE!

:T

I've tried to get into jogging/running, but I am so slow that it seems pointless, so I go for a fast walk instead. I don't know why but when I have jogged my legs get really itchy and it drives me mad and I end up scratching my legs raw. Maybe it's because I was sweating, but have no idea why this happens? I do secretly envy those who I see running as they make it look so effortless.
  • Southernman
    Options
    I could never run but then i got a tummy and thought 'oh no' and decided to take up running.

I was always the one who walked in cross country at school and hated long distance running. I could never understand how people could do it.

Then i started to run lamp posts. I'd run the distance of 5 one day, then 6 the next etc until eventually i could run a mile non stop and i suppose it progressed from there!

It's more fun in the countryside to run rather than a treadmill but running in the middle of Manchester city centre isn't convenient and would be far too much red sweaty face flaunting and a high chance someone i know would spot me!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I used to do a bot of (light) running/ jogging when I worked away a lot - lots of expenses paid cooked breakfasts, lunch on expenses and large dinners and lots of alcohol (all on expenses!) meant I needed to do something! :D Babies 3 and 4 kn@ckered my hips somewhat and I also now have plantar fascitis (sp) so running isn't really an option. We have this year bought a crosstrainer, though, so my aim is to build up to an hour of that a day (min 5x a week) - currently I can only do 15 mins before collapsing in a red faced sweaty heap!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Southernman
    Options
    I would get a treadmill for my sitting room whilst Corrie/Waterloo Road/X factor was on but the fear of my flatmate (male) seeing me all sweaty and with a wet back is just plain embarrassing!

Basically it all boils down to the red face dilemma whatever i do! If it was my boyfriend it wouldn't matter but as it's the flatmate it's a bit different! I'm not as comfortable running in front of him as he does 10km runs in under 40 minutes!!!!!

In other news i found out today that my employer offers retail vouchers with discounts in a range of places including where i plan to get my fridge/freezer from!

That will be a saving of 9%! I definitely can't complain!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Good luck to you, I am sure you are right to give bf another chance, although I do agree that one chance is enough. All the best,

Squirrel:j
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Southernman
    Options
    MY KITCHEN BIN HAS BROKEN.

I am so angry!! The hinge on the up down lid has basically fallen apart. I've only had it six months! Grrrrrr. Will be returning it and getting a refund but it's just the hassle!!!!

In other news i have done some more running...31km since Monday OR 41km since saturday but i am having a few days off...followed by a 16km run.

I'm doing a bit of overtime tomorrow 8-12. It's double pay and it's not my usual job so a bit nervous! I'm hoping no one bothers ringing up the bank that early on Saturday (8-9am in particular) but i'm sure i'll be proven wrong!

My Friday evening has consisted of me buying shampoo from bodycare and watching Corrie. What has my life become!?!?!
  • Mortgage_Reduction_Novice
    Options
    Good going on the running.
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure