Faulty ipod and argos

A good evening to all,
My trouble is with argos, i bought an ipod touch 4 in Dec 2011.
At the end of April this year it became faulty, the charger socket broke, well the support to the gold/brass contact broke off.
I returned it Argos and they sent it away 2 weeks later they claimed they're engineers said it was malicious damage.
I explained what had happened ( when i unpluged the charger the support broke off, again for the umteen time).
The mangeress then sai"take it to Apple and see what they say, i explained I had bought it off them not Apple.
After explaining this for about half an hour,see said that's all Argos could do !
I explained under the "sale of goods act" i want Argos to prove it was not faulty when i bought it, see sent it of again and it's come back saying the damage was caused accidently.
I would like to know where i stand for a repair to the ipod.
I did by it on a credit card so could i have it repaired under section 75.
I'm total lost on this one.
All i can say is i'll never buy from argos again.
Many thanks
ATB
Alan.

Comments

• MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    If I were you, I would nip in to your local Apple store. Although you purchased the iPod from Argos, were they to agree to a repair, they would have to send it off and await it's return.
    However, if you take it to an Apple store the chances are that they will just do a straight swap. That's the experience I've always had with them. they're a very helpful and efficient company, much more so than Argos :) it's probably worth a try.
  • Agree, take it back to Apple, it's still under the manufacturers warranty, usually they'd just type your serial number in and give you a replacement.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could spend weeks getting nowhere with Argos.

It is your right as a consumer to enforce your statutory rights with the retailer through the courts if required.

But honestly, just goto Apple and get a exchange, if you still don't have any luck follow through with Argos, it's going to give you so fewer headaches and be quicker overall.
  • mr_bod_2
    mr_bod_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Many thanks to your replys, I will give it a try with Apple and fingers crossed if not then its the credit card company.
    Once again thank you for your time helping me with this.
    ATB
    Alan
  • i want Argos to prove it was not faulty when i bought it
    they sent it away 2 weeks later they claimed they're engineers said it was malicious damage

They Have.
    ⚠ 2014 - COUNTDOWN TO INDEPENDENCE ⚠
  • it's actually argos' fault.

U should take them to court. Bring all the evidence with you, time of fault etc..

Proof of purchase can be credit card too.

I have heard many bad stories about this UK company and will not be shopping there.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm confused, if it is malicious/misuse damage (which its highly possible it could be when charger ports are concerned - when did this become a warranty issue?
    it's actually argos' fault.

U should take them to court. Bring all the evidence with you, time of fault etc..

Proof of purchase can be credit card too.

I have heard many bad stories about this UK company and will not be shopping there.

How is damage to a device Argos's fault? What ground would you take them to court for? Why do people 'hear' what others say and won't shop there...every customer complains, rarely compliments...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure