Options
2»

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2012 at 9:16AM
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    I was aware that some councils used to offer a discounted Railcard as an alternative to a free bus pass..... I may be wrong, ...

You are wrong.

No council would get away with saying you can either have a free bus pass for ever or money off a railcard every year!

(You seem bitter that your council have stopped selling them at a discount.)

Many do.

Google "which councils do railcards" for a starter list which runs to pages. Then show that to your local councillor and tell him/her to get it sorted for you if they want you to vote for them.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No council would get away with saying you can either have a free bus pass for ever or money off a railcard every year!
    You are wrong. I do not know what happens in most / many places but I am certain what happened / happens locally.
    You seem bitter that your council have stopped selling them at a discount.
    Wrong again. I am not yet old enough to qualify for a bus pass. I work as volunteer for my local Age Concern and know well what happens locally.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are wrong. I do not know what happens in most / many places but I am certain what happened / happens locally.
    You seem bitter that your council have stopped selling them at a discount.
    Wrong again. I am not yet old enough to qualify for a bus pass. I work as volunteer for my local Age Concern and know well what happens locally.

English Councils are obliged to offer Bus Passes. They are not obliged to offer discount Railcards.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 4 June 2012 at 1:17PM
    Options
    alanq wrote: »

If you have connections with Age Concern, then someone there will be able to put you right. The bus pass scheme is a national arrangement (though granted, it's financed by council tax). Councils have never been able to use a discounted railcard as a way to stop age eligible people get a bus pass too.

If you are interested in local age concern issues, maybe you can get your local council to adopt the scheme!

Many do, despite you being surprised to learn this!

See google to get an idea of the many that do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure