Best deal on Senior Railcard?

Hi folks

The senior-railcard website is offering 10% off the usual one year Senior Railcard price of £28 for a price of £25.20, using the Senior10 code, up to 30 June 2012.

Are there any better deals available at the moment?

Thanks.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A three year card is available online for £65 which is in excess of 20%
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The disabled persons railcard costs £20 for a year and gives 30% off most journeys.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Half price for a year if you use £14 of Tesco vouchers.

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=2023
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Errata wrote: »
    The disabled persons railcard costs £20 for a year and gives 30% off most journeys.
    And it has the advantage that someone can travel with you for the same price. So if you are disabled, probably best to go for that one. Hearing aid users qualify as disabled ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2012 at 10:07AM
    dzug1 wrote: »
    A three year card is available online for £65 which is in excess of 20%

I would have taken advantage of that but it had to be ordered online and required a passport or "valid driving licence" number. I have a valid driving licence but it is a green paper one so the number is of the wrong format. I had to buy my card at a station taking my birth certificate and only a one-year card can be purchased at stations. Hopefully I will be able to renew online next year.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    alanq wrote: »
    I would have taken advantage of that but it had to be ordered online and required a passport or "current driving licence" number. I have a current driving licence but it is a green paper one so the number is of the wrong format. I had to buy my card at a station taking my birth certificate and only a one-year card can be purchased at stations. Hopefully I will be able to renew online next year.

Are you sure about that? I have a photocard licence but the actual number is the same as the one I was issued with when I got my provisional licence in (I think) 1975.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2012 at 10:07AM
    Whoops! On checking, I was indeed mistaken.

It seems that I read "The licence number is shown on line 5 of your licence next to your photo." and assumed that without a photo licence I would not be able to apply online.
  • chico
    chico Posts: 139
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Many thanks folks for your helpful up-to-date advice.

I don't shop at Tesco enough to get the Tesco clubcard vouchers needed, so the three year online card looks the best deal for me.

People can check whether they qualify for the Disabled Person's Railcard on this page.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    chico wrote: »
    Are there any better deals available at the moment?

Many county councils sell these at a better/bigger discount to local ratepayers alongside providing their bus passes. Check if yours does.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was aware that some councils used to offer a discounted Railcard as an alternative to a free bus pass. Councils local to me no longer offer the option it's a bus pass or nothing. I may be wrong, but I would be surprised especially in these times of austerity if "many" councils offered both. Still no harm in asking I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure