Buyer believes item has been opened/used?

Hi,

I recently sold a brand new and unopened cosmetic item (purchased from an authorised seller of the brand). The buyer has received the item but has sent me a message that the product was almost empty!

I know this simply wasn't the case but I've sent her an email saying I'd be happy to offer a full refund if she would be kind enough to return the item - from the tone of her initial email I'm half expecting to recieve an empty tube back and I will be quite cross if this happens.

She hasn't responded as yet, is there anything I can be doing in the meantime to protect myself? I'm really worried about receiving a negative for this.

Would it help me at all to open something in the dispute panel and if so is there some sort of option for the buyer isn't happy? Can a buyer still leave feedback in these cases?

I have the original weight of the package recorded, I don't know if this helps at all.

Comments

• Tiger_greeneyes
    Tiger_greeneyes Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2012 at 3:38PM
    Are all your items brand new/sealed? If so, I'd raise a dispute.

If they leave neg feedback you can reply to it 'all items are brand new & unopened' and add 'buyer blocked, poss scammer' - or similar.

I have zero tolerance these days. I sold a ring a while back, said I didn't know the size but it was very small. Buyer received it and then tried to get me to pay to have it resized - would have cost a fortune as it was very heavy and made from platinum. I received all sorts of threats from her - "if you don't refund my money I'll leave neg feedback" etc (I've had 100% for 10 years so it annoyed me). I responded to the feedback & she lost the dispute but feedback was still negative for 12 months. I also blogged about it on my seller's page (I don't remember where that is now, it was 4 years ago) so other people could read why I received the damning feedback. I refuse to be blackmailed when I've done nothing wrong.

People reading your feedback will see there was a problem and make their own mind up. One negative out of hundreds of positives speaks volumes. You can't do anything about people who try it on, it's just the way it goes sometimes. I'm going off ebay by the day - for selling, anyway.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Are all your items brand new/sealed? If so, I'd raise a dispute.

What dispute would you open?
    If they leave neg feedback you can reply to it 'all items are brand new & unopened' and add 'buyer blocked, poss scammer' - or similar.
    Doesn't show the author in a good light.
  • Tiger_greeneyes
    What dispute would you open?

Doesn't show the author in a good light.

!. The most relevant one, whatever that is! The item wasn't as described. There is a dispute available for that scenario.

2. It was just a suggestion, I wasn't suggesting copying word for word, it's an option, same as not replying at all.

What would you have done if this had been your purchase?
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    !. The most relevant one, whatever that is! The item wasn't as described. There is a dispute available for that scenario.

2. It was just a suggestion, I wasn't suggesting copying word for word, it's an option, same as not replying at all.

The OP is the seller, so I don't think opening a dispute for not as described would be relevant.
    OP is there any way the item could have cracked in the post & leaked?
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hermum wrote:
    The OP is the seller, so I don't think opening a dispute for not as described would be relevant.

Hi thanks for the reply - it is possible I suppose but she hasn't mentioned that - and I think it would have made a mess of the packaging cos I sent it in one of those jiffys that has a sealed plastic liner! She said that it had "clearly" been used because there wasn't a lot of product :( it wasn't glass packaging or anything.

So frustrating because its against EBay t&c to list used cosmetic products and in any event I certainly wouldn't lie to buyers (I have a 5* item as described rating! (probably not for long :(( )
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Have you had a look to see what feedback they have received and left for others? I would ask for a photo if she says the packaging was damaged.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • theonlywayisup

There is no dispute, relevant or otherwise.

But you specifically said scammer....

If I were the seller, I would wait to find out what the buyer sends back. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions and I certainly wouldn't call the buyer a scammer.
  • Tiger_greeneyes
    hermum wrote: »

I didn't know sellers couldn't open disputes, I don't like selling on ebay these days anyway.
  • theonlywayisup
    I didn't know sellers couldn't open disputes, I don't like selling on ebay these days anyway.

What dispute would you expect a seller to be able to open?
  • Tiger_greeneyes
    There is no dispute, relevant or otherwise.

But you specifically said scammer....

If I were the seller, I would wait to find out what the buyer sends back. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions and I certainly wouldn't call the buyer a scammer.

If you read it in conjunction with the rest of the words in the sentence, you will find it's a suggestion.
    and add 'buyer blocked, poss scammer' - or similar.

or similar - that isn't 'specific' in my book...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure