Provisional award?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick one, I renewed tax credits last thurs and received my paperwork today, however at the top of my award notice it says "provisional tax credits for 06/04/2012 to 05/04/2013" then goes on to say "this is not a decision about your entitlement to tax credits, the amounts shown on this form are provisional". What does this mean? As it has all my details and a breakdown of amounts and future payments for the year on the paperwork?

Thanks

Comments

• From what ive seen in past posts is that this means your award is half way through processing stage and that its not a final award yet they are still doing necessary checks before they issue a final award.

Some renewals are been instant within a week some are taking slightly longer mine 3 weeks and some still not processed 6 weeks.

It seems to be different checks for different peoples renewals.
  • pinklipy
    pinklipy Posts: 111 Forumite
    I dont understand why they would send me a provisional award, why would they not just wait untill they have done their checks then send a proper one. The amounts have changed so how am I to know if this is the amount il get or not? All a bit silly and waste of time/paper if that's the case .
  • pinklipy
    Anyone know why?
    1111 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Did you get an extra payment? i renewed last Thursday and had an extra payment yesterday but no paper work yet.
  • pinklipy
    No nothing yet, I don't know why they've sent me a provisional award notice? Unless it was generated before I renewed? As I thought 7 days from phone call was speedy for tax credits.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think it's provisional because it won't be finalised until after your do your renewal this time next year. It's based on 11/12 income which is used as an estimate for 12/13. You will provide 12/13 income next year.
  • pinklipy
    Ok thanks, hopefully that is what it is then, just don't think I have had a provisional award in previous years, I have had an income change this year from being on mat leave so maby that's why.
  • -2-
    -2- Posts: 14 Forumite
    It is a provisional award based on your estimated inc they had on the system for the 11/12 tax year. Once you renew then your actual figures from 11/12 will be what your 12/13 award is based on. Your renewal info always goes over to the next year as an estimate.
  • pinklipy
    -2-
    I have already newed, so will I recieve another award notice then? Do you think the provisional was generated before I renewed?

Thanks
  • -2-
    -2- Posts: 14 Forumite
    Was the date on the award before you renewed ?. Usually you will receive a few award notices after you renew, so don't be surprised to get a few more. Call them to double check as they can see a payment schedule before you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure