MIB claim

Options
Me and my children were last year involved in an accident in my car with a hit and run driver. I only managed to get a partial reg at the time but have a police ref number relating to the incident.

I have decided to procede with a claim to the MIB, but don't know how 'easy' the process is. Is it worth me using one of the companies who deal with it or is it fairly straightforward?

Comments

• richard734
    richard734 Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Your insurance and any legal cover should be sorting this out, I dont think the MIB deal with members of teh public.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    richard734 wrote: »
    ... I dont think the MIB deal with members of teh public.

This is incorrect.

The MIB does deal with the public direct.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Me and my children were last year involved in an accident in my car with a hit and run driver. I only managed to get a partial reg at the time but have a police ref number relating to the incident.

I have decided to procede with a claim to the MIB, but don't know how 'easy' the process is. Is it worth me using one of the companies who deal with it or is it fairly straightforward?

It isn't too straightforward, and you do need to be able to identify the vehicle concerned.

So maybe speak to a claim handler or the MIB (01908 830001) themselves about your chances with no vehicle identity.
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Options
    How much of the reg number did you get? Did you manage to make a note of the make and model of the vehicle involved?
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • cootuk
    cootuk Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    I had to push and push my insurance company to liase with the MIB...just keep pushing and hassling. Once MIB got involved, my claim was settled quite quickly, it's just going through your own insurers that can be so slow.
  • i_wanna_save_money!
    Options
    Thanks for your replies - I originally spoke to someone who cold called me a while back about it, and they seem to think I have a case, I was just wondering if it would be easy enough to go about doing myself.

I only got the first part of the reg at the time, he smashed into me down the side and zoomed off - the police looked at cctv in the area but as nothing was captured and there were no witnesses there was no line of inquiry. It wasn't until I spoke to these claim people that I realised I could claim back for repairs as I didn't go through my insurance so I didn't have to pay excess and lose my no claims.

I think i'll just give the company a ring and let them deal with it then. Thanks again everyone who replied :)
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Options
    It is possible for the police to do a check with a partial registration if they also have the make and model of the vehicle. Do you know if they did this?
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • i_wanna_save_money!
    Options
    Trebor16 wrote: »
    It is possible for the police to do a check with a partial registration if they also have the make and model of the vehicle. Do you know if they did this?

They didn't do that at the time no, the police woman who dealt with me and dealt with checking cctv pretty much told me as there was no serious injury caused it would be too much effort and manpower to search. She said she had done as much as she could and that she was closing it as there was no line of inquiry.
  • Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Options
    They didn't do that at the time no, the police woman who dealt with me and dealt with checking cctv pretty much told me as there was no serious injury caused it would be too much effort and manpower to search. She said she had done as much as she could and that she was closing it as there was no line of inquiry.

It's one check and takes minutes.
  • i_wanna_save_money!
    Options
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    It's one check and takes minutes.

Seriously? It's really annoyed me that :-/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income