Where to put my walking stick on my wheelchair

Options
As the title really.

My wife pushes me and I hold my stick. But sometimes it falls, jams on the ground and usually embeds itself in my groin - ouch!!

Any suggestions for gadgets that attach to my wheelchair that hold the stick?

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Could you glue a strip of velcro to encircle the stick?
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Options
    Could you glue a strip of velcro to encircle the stick?

If there is no suitable gizmo I will ask my wife to come up with something creative :D
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    can u not get a foling one,and maybe keep it in a bag over ur wheelchair
  • luminated
    Options
    colin13 wrote: »
    can u not get a foling one,and maybe keep it in a bag over ur wheelchair

I have a folding one and a solid wooden one. I have found with folding sticks if you keep folding them too much they can go a bit rickety'ish. But a good thought and I must be dim as it hadn't crossed my mind. I do have a bespoken bag attached to the back of the seat across the handles.

But would still like a gizmo if possible.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Holder for walking sticks/crutches are available to buy they look like this - http://www.rdkmobility.co.uk/Wheelchair-Scooter-Crutch-Stick-Holder.html . You can use it with bags, you just put the bag on after the holder.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Holder for walking sticks/crutches are available to buy they look like this - http://www.rdkmobility.co.uk/Wheelchair-Scooter-Crutch-Stick-Holder.html . You can use it with bags, you just put the bag on after the holder.

I know that the height of the sticks would be smaller than the crutches shown, but with crutches, wouldn't it be unpleasant for the person pushing the wheelchair? I wouldn't like those crutches so close to my face!

Luminated, if your wife is creative, maybe she could make a bag that would go diagonally across the back of the chair. It could hold your stick without being too high towards the face of anyone pushing your chair. To be very MSE, she could use the leg of an old pair of jeans :)
  • luminated
    Options
    Luminated, if your wife is creative, maybe she could make a bag that would go diagonally across the back of the chair. It could hold your stick without being too high towards the face of anyone pushing your chair. To be very MSE, she could use the leg of an old pair of jeans :)

I'll tell her.

She made me elasticated attachment for each stick that hold a small brolly. I used to (when I was able to walk more) get people stop me and asked where I bought the stick with the attached brolly!!
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    If you use a stick as opposed to crutches have you considered a foldable one? That way it can be folded and put in a little backpack on the wheelchair.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • theoldcynic
    theoldcynic Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    luminated wrote: »
    As the title really.

My wife pushes me and I hold my stick. But sometimes it falls, jams on the ground and usually embeds itself in my groin - ouch!!

Any suggestions for gadgets that attach to my wheelchair that hold the stick?

Something like this?

http://www.nmsdirect.co.uk/walking-stick-holder-for-walker-or-wheelchair.html

(Can't vouch for the site though as never used it myself).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How about making one from some 50mm plastic pipe available from a DIY store?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure