Loandirect.net FRAUD HELP

Options

Comments

• archiebear_2
    Options
    :mad:my partner signed up for a membership with this company, they took £49.95 to register him, they sent him a text message saying they found him a loan and to go on their website to view it, but when trying to log in the page did nothing kept refreshing, he called them to find out y, they sent him a new password and link to the log in page. The same thing happened, we called again and sent the same., went on a different computer to see if it was just ours but still nothing. We giving up and can't afford to keep calling them but can't log in to try get money back,
    what shall we do...
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    archiebear wrote: »
    :mad:my partner signed up for a membership with this company, they took £49.95 to register him, they sent him a text message saying they found him a loan and to go on their website to view it, but when trying to log in the page did nothing kept refreshing, he called them to find out y, they sent him a new password and link to the log in page. The same thing happened, we called again and sent the same., went on a different computer to see if it was just ours but still nothing. We giving up and can't afford to keep calling them but can't log in to try get money back,
    what shall we do...

What did he think he was getting for the £50 ?

First of all tell him off for giving away £50 then put him in the dog house.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    Jesus its bad out there if people are paying someone £50 to show them a web page..
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Chris.mason_2
    Options
    I applied with this company also. I didn't really realise that the fee was charged straight away as I thought it would be charged when I got the loan through. (to be fair I have gone back and checked the website and the t&c's do say its charged straight away... should have read them instead of just ticking the box!!!)...

They did get me a loan offer but the rate was quite high and luckily I managed to borrow the money off a family member to tide me over.

I called Loans Direct on their customer service number 0844 704 8272 to try and get a refund of the membership fee as I had only joined a few days before and the site says theres a 14 day cooling off period. Got to be honest, I didnt expect to get much joy as these companies usually hang onto the money when theyve got it.
    After a bit of time on the phone they told me I needed to write in to cancel so I sent a letter the same day and supprisingly received a refund about 6 days later (was expecting to have to chase them like crazy for it).

Obviously will be more careful who I give my card details to in future and make sure I read the T&Cs before pressing submit!

Hope this helps!
  • Devon_Dyno_Soar
    Devon_Dyno_Soar Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2012 at 5:00PM
    Options
    This company has taken money, all that was left in the account, from someone I know too. They are clearly ethically questionable. The fact that their registered office is owned by a company called IsupportBiz who offer "virtual offices" was no surprise.
    The address to write to is shown on the LoansDirectUK website under "Terms and Conditions"

If you want to find out more details I suggest a good trawl through the webs directory services using the postal address will yield further information.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 July 2012 at 8:49AM
    Options
    As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought...... My money is on this company being a loan broker "magically" took a fee from someones account despite them "definitely not" giving them their bank details or card number (i suppose they must have guessed it), and low and behold, I was right!

Honestly, do people not check out these companies, or read the T&Cs before handing over their payment details..... (oh wait, but they didn't?)
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 November 2012 at 6:40PM
    Options
    This company has taken money, all that was left in the account, from someone I know too. They are clearly ethically questionable. The fact that their registered office is owned by a company called IsupportBiz who offer "virtual offices" was no surprise.
    The address to write to is shown on the LoansDirectUK website under "Terms and Conditions"

If you want to find out more details I suggest a good trawl through the webs directory services using the postal address will yield further information.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Do Visa and Mastercard chargebacks cover services as well and tangible goods? If so, your friend may be able to successfully make a chargeback via their card provider [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

You can check the Consumer Credit Licence database here. I wasn't able to find a licence for them. It's a bit clunky and doesn't appear to work in Chrome. :(
  • Aitch_G
    Aitch_G Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I too was hoodwinked into a charge of £59.75 for a so called membership. Called them straight away and was told it wasn't a problem just write explaining that I haven't and will not use their services and will get a full refund. Which turned out to be a complete load of rubbish as I just got a reply acknowledging my letter and offering more loans!
    So called again, I was offered around £21 as a refund and was not allowed to speak to a manager. Also given a hilarious analogy as to why I wasn't entitled to a full refund - "if you went to a restaurant and ordered a meal and then decided not to eat it you'd still have to pay or it!"
    At that point I knew I was getting nowhere and called the Financial Ombudsman helpline and loansdirectuk are not registered as a company. Therefore I did a bit of digging on the company by calling one of the companies that offered me a loan through them and asked who gave them my details and turns out they are actually a company called Veritable Finance from Southend on Sea.
    Financial ombudsman advised that a credit broker is not allowed to charge you more than £5 if you do not use there services and they complained to Veritable Finance on my behalf which they have 8 weeks to reply to.
    However yesterday I received an email from loansdirectuk to say a refund of the full £59.75 is being processed! Fingers crossed I actually get it!
    the financial ombudsman can be contacted on 0300 123 9123 or 0800 023 4567

Hope this helps :)
  • Aitch_G
    Aitch_G Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I have received the refund :j
  • jumperjohn
    Options
    Aitch_G wrote: »
    I have received the refund :j

So the lesson learned is........................?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure