Is CSA still payable?

Options
ankspon
ankspon Posts: 2,371 Forumite
The child(adult)involved is 18 years old and going to university to study criminology,is CSA still applicable and if so is it until 19 or 20 years of age.

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the arrangement.
    Under a CSA arrangement payments will stop once the child goes to university as this level of education is higher than A-level or the equivalent.
    Until what age of my child is child maintenance payable?
    If you choose to make a family-based arrangement about child maintenance, you and the other parent can arrange it in whichever way is best for your circumstances.

With an arrangement using the CSA, child maintenance is paid until the child reaches 16 years old, or until they reach 19 years old if they are in full-time education (not higher than A-level equivalent).

http://www.cmoptions.org/en/faqs/section1.asp#Q15
  • ankspon
    Options
    Can you explain what you mean by depends on the arrangement please.
  • skibadee
    skibadee Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    I'm guessing MrsManda is meaning if you have a private arrangement in place rather than through the CSA?
  • WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If its CSA it will end on 1st Monday in September which this year is 3rd September.

Not a qualifying child if at uni
  • ankspon
    Options
    It was through the CSA,thanks.
  • fawd1
    fawd1 Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    I'm always curious as to why there are questions about how quickly people can stop paying for their children. They're you're children, what the law says you should do is one thing, what you SHOULD be doing, is helping to support them until they are able to support themselves.
  • ankspon
    Options
    fawd1 wrote: »
    I'm always curious as to why there are questions about how quickly people can stop paying for their children. They're you're children, what the law says you should do is one thing, what you SHOULD be doing, is helping to support them until they are able to support themselves.

It's more complicated than that,we have paid for the child outside the CSA money as well as to them,the child has a millionaire parent who claimed out of spite not necessity but it still did not stop us giving the child extra money outside of the CSA.The child will also still receive financial support from us after the CSA stops but we resent giving it to a millionaire who has told the child i don't need the money i just want to break them financially and emotionally,they don't even give the child the CSA money it's just left in a dormant account.So do not judge without facts.
  • nicky3
    nicky3 Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options

The forum is about the CSA not the moral issues of parenting. I have been an NRP and these questions are fully relevant. My kids were used to get money and were pretty much discarded when purpose served. They are 18 and 20, live with me and are fully supported by me and nobody else. I have a relationship with them and want to support them. If I had no relationship, I would feel no such obligation, but that would be between me and my conscience. If the law does not judge me, why should anyone else?

Every case is different but we are here to address issues with the CSA who are a hideous outfit to deal with.
  • ankspon
    Options
    So it's fact that because the child is doing a degree at uni starting in september child support stops?
  • annie1975_2
    annie1975_2 Posts: 626 Forumite
    Options

Maybe the parent who is paying for the upkeep of that child is struggling somewhat themselves,and is just wondering when they can have a better quality of life, like his ex the millionairess?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport