MSE News: Councils issue more parking fines

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Councils issue more parking fines

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
24 replies 3.2K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
"Local councils handed out an increased number of parking tickets last year despite cutting back on traffic wardens ..."
Read the full story:
Councils issue more parking fines

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• MacMicksterMacMickster Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The stats equate to each warden issuing around 1 ticket per hour at work. This sounds as if they are either displaying a very restrained attitude or shirking on the job.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • Doubt it. When they cut back on the CEO's I expect the number of tickets they managed to issue was the chief criterion as to who they let go, as the number 1 objective of the exercise is not traffic management but revenue generation.
  • Poor councils. Times are hard, you know. It's still just another form of indirect local taxation.

Yet, they still seem to get things wrong with them.

The problem is that they're taking a leaf out of the PPCs book, by "routinely" rejecting appeals. If we could ever prove that, they'd be in real trouble. And the adjudicators are unhappy with having to deal with so many cases, which clearly should've been filtered out beforehand.

In any event, I think that, between us, we can still help people faster than they can issue PCNs.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • AzariAzari Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    People should stand up to these councils.

If everyone stopped parking illegally and that would dry up their source of revenue and teach them a lesson!

What annoys me about CEO's, though, is that the spend all their time prowling around car parks and residents bays whilst motorists flout double yellow lines and hold up traffic on busy main roads
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Said it before, but here it is again. If the Council had to pay the appellant if they lost at the adjudication, you can bet they might be a lot more careful before routinely rejecting appeals. This system needs to be altered.
  • Azari wrote: »
    <snip> If everyone stopped parking illegally and that would dry up their source of revenue and teach them a lesson!

In fairness, that's absolutely correct.

However, they do seem to be becoming more "inventive". For example, a recent alleged bus lane offence, where the signs and road markings almost seem to have been designed to create the problem. A cynic could suggest that this might be a result of a higher level of awareness and compliance.
    Azari wrote: »
    What annoys me about CEO's, though, is that the spend all their time prowling around car parks and residents bays whilst motorists flout double yellow lines and hold up traffic on busy main roads

I believe that some places still also have old-fashioned police appointed traffic wardens, who are responsible for the public highway.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Lotus-eaterLotus-eater Forumite
    10.8K posts
    I still remember the days when we had police appointed traffic wardens, who weren't judged on how many tickets they issued and who you could actually talk to.
    They were on the whole nice poeple, who had the time of day for you and you treated as someone who would give you the benifit of the doubt.

I used to run into them all the time in my job, one once helped me reverse down a one way street to get into decent parking.......

Not today though, I don't know what's gone wrong, but any humanity has gone from the profession. Maybe that's the problem, it isn't a profession any more, it's just a job with rules.

The traffic wardens used to be a part of our police station, their tea rooms were shared with the police, so I expect a certain amount of trust and camaraderie was built up between them, which is as it should be.

But now they are just people expected to issue tickets, no caring about the motorist, just money and move on.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Yes. That is ALL it is about now. Money. Councils are backed by legitimate authority, but most have the same mentality as the PPCs.
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is when the money raised by council parking fines goes straight into a central pot where the local council sees nothing from.

This is also when any successful appeal carries at least a £60 fee to be paid to the person whom has successfully appealed the ticket.

Both will most likely cut the number of tickets issued, you see the vultures in car-parks waiting for the second a ticket expires to hit the vehicle with a parking ticket
  • esmerobboesmerobbo Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see after London Liverpool is the highest issuer, I can see why many people here think SYL and DYL,s are to make the road look pretty.

However the main reason is they really only ever enforced in the city centre and one or two other hot spots! Now they have moved further into the burbs. Also they have shifted a lot of regulation times.
    Most places the regs stopped at 6.00pm now an awful lot have moved to 8.00pm.

Just down the road from me they have just spent a fortune putting traffic calming on a crossroads that was a very bad accident spot.
    The reason being people would park on DYL,s so you could not see traffic approaching.

Now the islands and the chicanes look all nice and shiny, but the morons are still parking on the DYL,s!

One day last week I saw a bin lorry who had to go around the island on the wrong side, because some tit had parked on the DYL adjacent to the island.
    Some people do deserve tickets!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support