What saw

Options
OK, we have a petrol chainsaw but can anyone recommend a saw for cutting up lots of narrower lengths of tree that are not really worth firing the chainsaw up for.

I know we could use a handsaw and axe but we have quite a lot and DH has a heart condition so don't want to risk him ending up at A & E with it. He's a beggar as well and won't do it in stages:o

Ideally thinking of an electric one. Would a table saw be a good idea.

TIA:)

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think a bowsaw would still be your best bet but you could consider a Black & Decker Alligator Lopper or similar.
  • Williwoodburner
    Williwoodburner Posts: 131 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2012 at 10:48PM
    Options
    abwsco wrote: »
    OK, we have a petrol chainsaw but can anyone recommend a saw for cutting up lots of narrower lengths of tree that are not really worth firing the chainsaw up for.

I know we could use a handsaw and axe but we have quite a lot and DH has a heart condition so don't want to risk him ending up at A & E with it. He's a beggar as well and won't do it in stages:o

We use a Silky or a bowsaw on wood not thick enough to justify the chainsaw, I like the Silky best, very good on green wood and easy to cut awkward bits.
    You can't sharpen a Silky but they stay sharp for years.
    eg - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-102-30-Gomtaro-300mm-Saw/dp/B0014C4MZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337722529&sr=8-1
    A good sawhorse is a big help too.

Regards

Willie.
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you both. Will pass on your suggestions. Alligator looks good but appears to be no longer made.

We do have a saw horse. How safe would it be to bundle some of the lengths together and use the chainsaw on them. Or is that a stupid idea:o
  • Williwoodburner
    Options

We do have a saw horse. How safe would it be to bundle some of the lengths together and use the chainsaw on them. Or is that a stupid idea:o

Its ok to bundle smaller bits together so long as the sawhorse has a locking bar that locks the wood securely so it cant move when sawing.

regards

Willie.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both. Will pass on your suggestions. Alligator looks good but appears to be no longer made.

You can still get them new...

Alligator Lopper

A bit pricey though.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options

For long bits of branches up to about 3 or 4 inch diameter, I use a mitre saw, purely because I already owned one. Seems to work well enough, but potential to lose fingers of course if not careful. Here'san example
    http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&client=opera&hs=asU&rls=en&channel=suggest&q=mitre+saw&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1243&bih=637&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7704689167244016367&sa=X&ei=77-8T7uwNoPIhAeG9fmoDw&ved=0CNoBEPMCMAI
  • abwsco
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. DH still doesn't fancy using a hand saw of any description. Pic of a small selection of what needs cutting. Would a really good bow saw go through this easily enough ie like a knife through butter.
    IMG00072-20120521-1846.jpg
  • Williwoodburner
    Options
    . Would a really good bow saw go through this easily enough ie like a knife through butter.

Hi again,
    Yes you could process that quite easily with a bow saw, make sure you get the correct blade for green wood. :money:
    I would do a couple of the thicker bits with the chainsaw.

regards

Willie.
  • abwsco
    Options
    Thanks Willie:) Would the silky you linked to be the best one to get or can you recommend a bow saw for me to look at. Don't want to buy cheap carp as I know you then end up buying twice.
  • Williwoodburner
    Options
    Thanks Willie:) Would the silky you linked to be the best one to get or can you recommend a bow saw for me to look at. Don't want to buy cheap carp as I know you then end up buying twice.

Hi Tia,

yes I would buy a proper Silky they are quite expensive but much easier to use than a bowsaw and last for years :j, bow saw blades dont last very long and you cant get at the awkward bits with them.
    I use a sllky on stuff up to about 3 inches in diameter.

regards

Willie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family