broadband i have no access to cable

Options
hi
i only have a bt landline no cable in my area anyone recommend a decent monthly rate with a good service just purchased my new pc and a bit confused about broadband please help
thanks

Comments

• TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I am not in a cable area either, there are many ISP's out there and you will find that everyone has an opinion on which is the best or worst, depending on their experiences.

This link tells you all about broadband and providers available:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

I was on ntlfreedom (dial up, not cable) which is now virgin media who also has broadband packages for dialup. I say I was with ntlfreedom because I changed to sky broadband (if you have sky tv, you can join sky broadband for £5 a month) and although I was given a connection date Monday 12th March, I was connected this morning! I ordered it on 1st March, gave the MAC code and have been connected today - can't fault it.

I was worried about changing provider as there have been so many negative comments etc.

My connection speed with ntl freedom (dial up) was 2mb - my connection at this moment is 8mb (I ordered MID PACKAGE with sky which is 8mb speed) and although it's early days .... it's a lot faster.

I am sure others will be along to give their opinions, I wish you luck.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    I My connection speed with ntl freedom (dial up) was 2mb - my connection at this moment is 8mb (I ordered MID PACKAGE with sky which is 8mb speed) and although it's early days .... it's a lot faster.

I am sure others will be along to give their opinions, I wish you luck.

I agree with your comments regarding the thinkbroadband website however I think that you are a little confused about connection speeds. It is not possible to get 2Mb on dialup (I assume that you previously used a USB modem but it's not dialup). Your Sky connection is up to 8Mb and it is extremely unlikely that you are ever going to achieve that speed. There is a lot of marketing talk used by some ISP's, like 8Mb broadband.

Check your actual speed using one of the many speed tests like http://www.speedtest.net/
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    I agree with your comments regarding the thinkbroadband website however I think that you are a little confused about connection speeds. It is not possible to get 2Mb on dialup (I assume that you previously used a USB modem but it's not dialup). Your Sky connection is up to 8Mb and it is extremely unlikely that you are ever going to achieve that speed. There is a lot of marketing talk used by some ISP's, like 8Mb broadband.

Check your actual speed using one of the many speed tests like http://www.speedtest.net/

Sorry, I didn't mean dial up I did mean USB modem, I said that because I am on BT line - don't ask my why! I understand that it is upto 8mb, the reason I said it as I did is that I went for MID sky package which is described as the 8mb, as the sky MAX is upto 16mb.

I have checked speedtest, and considering this is the first day it is looking promising.

97348667.png

After only having it for just about 7 hours I am very happy with it, and I was worried about changing broadband to another ISP because of all the negative reports. I have noticed a considerable change in the speed already (to what I had) and there is a 10 day settling period, but it is ok at the minute, and I would add that my experience with migrating from ntlfreedom to sky was pain free and connected 2 days before estimated - I was very worried.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure