Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money off?

Options
1235»

Comments

• kenny7964
    Options
    Well back to the title question, i have just had a full refund and the full cost of the towbar i had fitted returned to me by Evans Halshaw.
    How? i proved the sales man lied when selling me the car and let them have 3 chances to repair the car, it was still faulty.
    I wrote to them and the credit card company that i paid the deposit with.
    Then i gave them 2 weeks to get back to me which the hadn't.
    I then dropped the car off with the sales team on a Sunday saying i have to leave this with you, your MD knows all about it.
    Still no reply from them by the Thursday so i called the credit card company saying i have an appointment with Lawyer tomorrow.
    Hold off just now sir we send an email to the MD and remind him of your rights.
    Next day phone call from the dealer asking to to collect a cheque for the full amount plus the cost of the towbar.
    Always pay at least the deposit on a credit card, ,there is no way i have had the same result without section 75 on my side. Don't chase the dealer that puts them in control, they want you to feel greatfull for getting someway out even if it costs you.

Kenny
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Relentless. I've been looking for a nearly new Mazda 2 Automatic for Mrs V. Most of the dealers seem to knock a grand or two off at the very most. When I've been looking on FleaBay and Autotrader, Evans Halshaw seem very competitive and price their cars weirdly. Instead of £9999 or a round 10000, they price as £8234.

One car I'm interested in is in Southern Scotland- about 350 miles from me. But I've done the research and the train ticket is £34 advanced booking, the car is £9.5k at Southern dealers and £7341 from one of the EH branches.
    The man without a signature.
  • OddballJamie
    OddballJamie Posts: 2,661 Forumite
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    I agree with Relentless. I've been looking for a nearly new Mazda 2 Automatic for Mrs V. Most of the dealers seem to knock a grand or two off at the very most. When I've been looking on FleaBay and Autotrader, Evans Halshaw seem very competitive and price their cars weirdly. Instead of £9999 or a round 10000, they price as £8234.

One car I'm interested in is in Southern Scotland- about 350 miles from me. But I've done the research and the train ticket is £34 advanced booking, the car is £9.5k at Southern dealers and £7341 from one of the EH branches.

An Evans Halshaw salesman let this slip to me once when I asked about them transporting a car from another branch.

The last number in the price is based on stock time, it's an easy way for the salesmen to know what to offer on them.
    1 means it's just come in, so no deals, low PX and no transporting to other branches. 2 means two weeks onwards and so on.
    The higher the number the better chance you will get a better deal.

The last time I ventured to EH I was actually shocked at the poor quality of used cars they had in, scratches, scruffs, dents. Some of the runabouts out back were in better nick.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    You cant trust a car sales man, you can trust your credit card company!

Our evans halshaw sounds pretty similar.

Colleague (sp?!) bought a car 2 weeks ago (was a p/ex paid 3-4k) Put it though its MOT to find out it was involved in a fairly heavy accident by the sound of it, twisting the chassis and knocking all the doors out of line. Customer services wanted nothing to do with them.... bought as seen etc etc. Then she posted on twitter slagging them off, next day had her money back.

Im sorry to any genuine good car salesman (there must be some) but unfortunately your industry is letting you down big time. Buying a car is a law unto itself and normally involves bullying garages.

This is why im a full converted bangernomics man, no longer shall i throw money out of the window on buying unnecessary cars. My £200 motor is a dream and no bell ends promising the world, more of a 'gears stick sometimes and you have to jimmy around the lock a little bit'..... my kinda car!

Failing to see where the dealership is at fault here? maybe the fault of the person trading it in who was, perhaps, deceitful?
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DB_XIII wrote: »
    I'm not sure where this attitude of I was born entitled to a discount came from.

Probably from the very first traders, discounts and haggling are as old as trading itself.
  • Eilz_2
    Options
    Does anyone know how much it costs to transport a car from another Evans Halshaw branch? Is it a deposit system or pay by miles between branches? Have seen a car on their website but it is 190 miles away.......!
  • TradePro
    TradePro Posts: 652 Forumite
    Options
    No idea, sorry :D
    And that my son, is how to waft a towel!
  • OddballJamie
    Options
    Eilz wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much it costs to transport a car from another Evans Halshaw branch? Is it a deposit system or pay by miles between branches? Have seen a car on their website but it is 190 miles away.......!
    It alL DependS on the PricE.

The higher the last number on the price, the better chance you have of getting it transported, 1 or 2 not a chance.
  • Acc72
    Acc72 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Evans Halshaw seem very competitive and price their cars weirdly. Instead of £9999 or a round 10000, they price as £8234.

I was told that the prices are to ensure that they are the cheapest in the area (not sure how they work out an area).

Eg. if a similar car is priced at £8,250 down the road then they will price it at £8,234 (although reading other replies I am sure that this also includes a coded system !).

My experience is similar :

The "admin fee" is a rip off - by the time you add in this fee, plus tax plus a bit of fuel you have significantly increased the purchase price.

I also have experience of dents and scratches - "don't worry sir, just sign here and we will look at that" - well how about actually repairing it rather than just promiosing to look at it !

Also, the old "we will service the car before you pick it up" - when I got home the service book hadn't been stamped.

Although I returned to the dealer to get the stamp, I didn't even think to check the oil/filter etc. to see that the service had actually been done.

One word - shysters !
  • OddballJamie
    Options
    Acc72 wrote: »
    I also have experience of dents and scratches - "don't worry sir, just sign here and we will look at that" - well how about actually repairing it rather than just promiosing to look at it !

Last time I browsed the local EH stock it looked like some of the cars had been used as props in the new Wolverine film.

That was the prepared stock too, when I looked at pre-prep ones they looked ready for scrapping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure