🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bank charges - automatic refund

Options
Straight off let me say I have not claimed and do not intend to claim any charges from my bank (Abbey), not least because there wouldn't be a whole lot to claim, but you know, principle and all that...

My question, just because I and what (strange as it may seem) will be the vast majority of bank customers do not, for whatever reason claim any charges they may have incurred over the last 6 years, - that is claim as per the process as it currently stands, - does not make us any less entitled.

I think Martin alluded to some kind of automatic refund in a thread elsewhere recently (he's doing a piece on it I think), and I think he even chucked in a reference to it at the very end of his last appearance on Tonight.
If there is any info on this perhaps someone could post a link. Thx in advance

As a general point presumably the banks do now have some kind of obligation in this regard?

Comments

• doitmyself
    doitmyself Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to 'bump' my own thread here but I'm genuinely interested in getting a response on this, from Martin or anyone else.
    Cheers
  • larks01
    larks01 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have to be honest.... i didnt really understand your question! perhaps you can clarify ???
  • doitmyself
    Options
    larks01 wrote:
    I have to be honest.... i didnt really understand your question! perhaps you can clarify ???

Hi larks
    OK so your situation and mine are identical. We have both been particularly careless (or unlucky) and racked up £2000 charges in the past 6 years.
    You're an industrious kind of guy so you register a claim and get your £2000 back. Well done.
    I'm a lazy so-and-so and I do nothing, and therefore get nothing back.
    But, I'm no less entitled surely? If it's wrong it's wrong and any charges incurred by the lazy (or otherwise objecting) so-and-so's should be refunded anyway.

How are the banks going to manage this, or is someone going to come on now and tell me that for those who don't claim it's tough...? Probably. I can't see that being right though...
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tough..... :)
  • doitmyself
    Options
    Tough..... :)
    :rotfl: very funny lassy, you made me spit my £3.49 shiraz all over me comp!
  • kevink_3
    kevink_3 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    D I Y you lazy B*****d
  • HeadInSand_2
    Options
    When Martin said an automatic process, he was saying that's what could happen if it gets tried at a high court and the Banks are found to be at fault. At the moment that's not the case, so if you want anything back now you have to get writing letters.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you read the OFT note you'll see more explanation :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • roonie49
    roonie49 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    you dont even have to write much just put in your personal details where the letter says you are soooooooooooo lazy man but its your money and if youre happy that the bank keeps it then thats cool
    Got barclays on the ropes:beer:
    sent letters:money:
    got replies offering half:mad:
    turned them down:T
    took them to small claims court:eek:
    they acknownledged the claim:confused:
    now they have put in a defence:mad:
    going to court in april:eek:
    what should i say????:money:
  • doitmyself
    Options
    Thanks guys, was just about to reply to KevinK but see there are a few subsequent responses here, inc from Martin, thank you.
    My 'laziness' was used to clarify the situation for larks01 as he/she asked. (Having said that I dont necessarily deny it KK/roonie!)
    Here ayway is the reply I drafted before the latest replies:

Martin makes reference in his article here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=391787
    to those who may want to claim charges but who, for various reasons would find it difficult.
    For my part I have very little interest in claiming (i.e. very little to claim, poss £100) so I can sit back and sneer (á la trademark et al) at those who do on the basis that it's probably gonna cost me, however I don't like injustice and if the illiterate, innumerate or those with mental health problems referenced in Martin's article above get their charges automatically refunded then I want mine automatically refunded too.

p.s. Martin thinks this is an issue for MP's so SunshineGirls recent post there is prob worth a look.

p.p.s. Sorry to Edinburghlass for previously thinking you were EdinburghGlass, ... like some sort of downmarket Edinburgh Crystal :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport