London to Paris for two for £20… £300 to get home.

Options
Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:

London to Paris for two for £20… £300 to get home.

"Last weekend, I learnt a very important financial lesson: time really is money..."

Comments

• neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel for you. It's n easy mistake to make especially if you're tired. Did you atleast try to book online for a late minute deal on eurostar?
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    dearie me :cool: - ah well, at least it would have been a more comfy return journey on the Eurostar.
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    Never mind - at least you won't do it again!
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    I feel for you. It's n easy mistake to make especially if you're tired. Did you atleast try to book online for a late minute deal on eurostar?

Thanks neneromanova, we did consider this, but after asking the guy at the Eurostar checkout, he said that all tickets on a Sunday, when purchased on a Sunday, were that price. By this time we'd had enough and just wanted to go home lol!

MSE Becca
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    All that time on a bus for 24 hours in Paris. Wouldn't do it if you paid me. Find it amazing that you managed to spend 24 hours unaware that you were an hour out from everyone else.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah wells..

£300 aint the end of the world, though a 10hr bus journey including customs checks at Dover port would be...

Agent Orange/
  • Deputy_Dawg
    Deputy_Dawg Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't dream of criticising. My Mum and I got a fab deal a few summers ago to go to Paris on Eurostar for about £100 each including hotel.

Unfortunately it was about 100 degrees in our room, no air conditioning, when windows were open the noise from other rooms went on late into the night and it wasn't even much cooler. We spent half the night soaking towels to wrap ourselves in to stay a bit cooler.

By the morning neither of us could bear the thought of another night in the same conditions so we enquired when the first train home was, and were home by lunchtime at about four times the cost for a single journey than we had paid for the whole holiday "deal".

Despite the cost I am not sure it was the wrong decision an awful lot of elderly Parisians died of heat stroke that week.

Sometimes it just aint meant to be
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did you find the journey? Was it bearable or not worth the hassle? Did you have to book a hotel as well? How did you find Disney - is it more for kids or is there still adult stuff to do? Thanks
  • dawnytwp
    dawnytwp Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I've done several similar journeys on "luxury coaches".....for that price I would def do it agin....however...not sure the BF would. I may just go straight for Eurostar.

In reply about Disney.....i have been twice with my son...whois now grown up and i am off agin in August with the boyfriend......I cannot wait. No need to take the kids!!
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    How did you find the journey? Was it bearable or not worth the hassle? Did you have to book a hotel as well? How did you find Disney - is it more for kids or is there still adult stuff to do? Thanks

Hi Stphnstevey, thanks for asking.

I don't mind travelling on the Megabus (in fact I went on it again the weekend just gone, up to Edinburgh on a 10-hour journey), but as I'm quite small, it's not really uncomfortable for me, I don't find it cramped. My boyfriend is a lot bigger and found it hard to get comfy, as the seats are quite upright, and there were no arm rests for him to lean on.

With regards to Disney, we only went because I am a Sky customer and signed up for the free ticket offer. We wouldn't have gone if we'd had to pay the 79 Euros each to get in, as we only went on 5 rides, it was rainy, cold and miserable (though we were that tired from travelling we weren't bothered about only going on 5 rides).

I booked a hotel for the Saturday night - it was cheap and cheerful, near the bus depot and metro station, cost me 100 Euros. Though not the Ritz, after the travelling and sleepless night and traipsing around Disney, we were very grateful for a bed!

I sound very moany and negative about the trip, but in all honesty, it was one of the funniest weekends we've had!

MSE Becca
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport