Poor wireless internet connection - how can I improve it?

Options
I'm bed bound for a few weeks following an operation and am trying to use my laptop in the bedroom.

The signal strength there is poor to non existent due to the fact we live in a large castle - only kiddin' it's really only a small one ( house not castle!)

My router is downstairs and due to the wiring set up, can't be moved.

Is there anything I can do to boost the signal up here, cheaply as it will only be a temporary measure - I hope!

Thanks

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy a couple of Homeplugs and use the Ethernet port on the laptop, or try changing the wireless channel on the router.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    even cheaper get a wirless access point, it will beam your exisitng signal and boost it
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • georgiac
    georgiac Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi chanz - I like "cheaper" please could you point me in the right direction for instructions on how to use one?

thanks
  • LeafyBarnet
    Options
    georgiac wrote: »
    router is downstairs and due to the wiring set up, can't be moved.

Can it be moved a little bit? Off the floor if it's sitting there at present? As much height as you can give it will help your upper accommodation area's reception.

I've got mine elegantly hanging above the door frame in the master socket's room. Giving it that extra height and choosing a locally unused wifi channel has cured all known problems for me.

Good luck for the op!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 May 2012 at 1:36AM
    Options
    Or if you have a old wireless router, google the model for how to make it a signal repeater, most can be these days.

My old Virgin D-Link wireless router is now a signal repeater in the hall at bedroom door running at 240v.

Between the 9v laptop & its internal wifi card and the actual Talk Talk wireless router the back bedroom signal was really poor trying to connect through solid concrete walls to the the Talk Talk wireless, Dlink as repeater - FULL signal now, good old...old virgin wireless recycled :)
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The cheapest fix is to change the wireless channel-because it costs nothing.
    It may do the trick, and if it doesn't you've spent nothing but 5 minutes of your time.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport