Car Insurance Claim - Advice

Options
Hello All

I have had a car accident today. I was stationary at a set of lights that were Red. The car behind drove into the back of me. I now have minor damage to my rear bumper that needs to be replaced - hairline crack along the top - and whatever other hidden damage is possible.

I took the other drivers name and number, and got a witness name and number who was sitting at the bus stop.

I got home and I phoned my car insurance company to inform them of the accident and they are processing a claim.

Was this the right thing to do?

I want the bumper fixed because of the safety aspect. Likely cost brand new - somewhere between £100 and £300 i guess. I dont want to pay this hence the claim. Insurance company assure me the no claims bonus and excess will be retrieved assuming the other party agrees liability. Premium most likely will rise as the incident is logged, despite not being my fault.

Did I do the right thing?

Should i try and settle with the other driver outside of the insurance and withdraw the claim?
Is that even possible?

Advice needed please - feeling sick about it all.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was this the right thing to do?

Probably not.
    You will lose your no claims and have to pay your excess.
    As this sounds cosemetic then why not just claim off the other guy instead?
    Insurance company assure me the no claims bonus and excess will be retrieved assuming the other party agrees liability.

It could take a while. You might have to renew (with impaired NCD) before it's settled.
    Did I do the right thing?

From the details given I would say no.
    You could claim direct and not lose the NCD or excess.
    Should i try and settle with the other driver outside of the insurance and withdraw the claim?

I wouldn't go outside insurance. What if you find you have injuries in a few days?
    But why not claim on his insurance?
  • Scots
    Scots Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Go to your doctor and have your neck and shoulders examined for possible whiplash. It can take a day or two for any injury to be felt. You may be able to claim for it later.

I think you have done everything else correctly.
  • MikeyGB313
    MikeyGB313 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »

Probably not.

From the details given I would say no.
    You could claim direct and not lose the NCD or excess.
    But why not claim on his insurance?

How would i claim in his insurance?
    Will my insurance not claim back from the other parties?

(This is my first time involved in such an incident, have no idea what your suppose to do)
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Go to your doctor and have your neck and shoulders examined for possible whiplash

There is no medical test for whiplash (that's why there is so much fraud).
    If you have symptoms I would say go, because they can give valuable advice e.g. to prevent formation of scar tissue.
    But if you have no symptoms there is no test a doc can give you.
  • fergie15
    fergie15 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    HI I had a similar thing happen last week. The insurers registered it as a notification as there wasn't much damage. Then if something did happen to my banging head they could change it. I was lucky I was fine so didn't pursue it
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Write to them.

Eventually yes.
    This could take some time - in the meantime you'll lose your NCD and excess, you might have to renew before you get your NCD back.
    Your insurer will only claiom back your excess for you if you bought the legal cover. Did you pay for that?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2012 at 5:56PM
    Options
    MikeyGB313 wrote: »

(This is my first time involved in such an incident, have no idea what your suppose to do)

You may need to instigate your own claim for your uninsured losses (eg excess/hire car/transport costs/any loss of wages etc). If you have "legal cover" with your insurance, contact them about this.

(If you now want to claim off the third party, you need to contact your own insurer and cancel your claim, then assuming they have not yet incurred any costs you can contact the third party insurer direct, and ask if they will deal with your claim - you can get your car repaired at the garage of your choice, or let them use their own appointed repairer. They will provide a replacement car whilst yours is in dock if you ask for one )
  • Christopher7
    Options
    Mikey
    My advice would be not too panic, it sounds like a straight forward non fault claim, and going through your insurers isn't necessarily the wrong thing to do. Theoretically you should receive a better level of service from your insurer.

Your insurer will arrange to collect your vehicle and take it an approved repairer, beware though they may repair your vehicle with non genuine parts to keep costs down. If you are bothered, you may wish to clarify this with your insurer.

When you collect your vehicle or it is returned to you, you will have to pay your policy excess to the garage, they will then invoice the insurer for the rest.

Your insurer should then recover all of their costs from the other party's insurer. They should then reinstate any no claims bonus.
  • MikeyGB313
    MikeyGB313 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Christopher.

I think i cant really change path now i have chosen the insurance route (rightly or wrongly).

I just need to gather the third parties full insurance details and let my insurer deal with it now.

I have up to £100,000 legal costs as standard with comprehensive Admiral and have informed them of the excess recoup.

Any other thoughts?
  • Christopher7
    Christopher7 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    As you are insured by Admiral and its a clear non fault claim, I would expect them to introduce you to Albany Assistance and offer you credit repair/credit hire.

If you accept their offer, then Albany will arrange the repair at their garage, and you won't have to pay an excess at all.

You will only be offered credit repair if you accept a credit hire vehicle, from Albany but beware there is a certain stigma attached to credit hire as it will inflate the cost of the claim. Also be aware that there are credit agreements that you will need to sign.

If you don't wish to accept credit repair or credit hire, then proceed with Admiral as normal and pay your excess to the garage. You will then need to send the receipt to Albany (yes them again) as they are Admiral's Legal Expenses provider/administrator. My advice is then to keep chasing regularly as chasing your excess from the other side will not be a priority for Albany.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure