Selling a Vintage handbag

Options
I have got a handbag by a( little known in the uk) luxury brand.
I don't feel ebay may be the rigjht place for it.Overpriced imho but about £2,500 new
Are their any other auction houses eg london ones I could sell this at,or any other suggestions

Comments

• carmel11
    carmel11 Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    bump,........................................................................
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2012 at 4:56PM
    Options
    http://forum.purseblog.com/
    May be a better place to ask.
    I would be very wary selling a vintage designer bag on ebay, unless you can get it authenticated.
    I don't know whether there are many UK collectors on there.
  • carmel11
    Options
    ok thanks,why is that?
  • hermum
    Options
    Why is what? Being able to authenticate it?
    If someone buys it & then claims that it's a fake then you would have to prove it's authentic, in writing on headed paper, within a certain timescale, which is only days.
    (I think paypal expect a seller to prove it's not fake, ebay expect the buyer to prove it is. However I may have that the wrong way round) With a vintage item, especially one not well known here that could prove difficult.
    There was a thread on here last year where someone sold a vintage Chanel bag & the buyer claimed it was a fake. I don't know what happened in the end as the seller never updated.
    You could try googling auction houses that sell vintage accessories.
    I've sold vintage bags of my Mum's but they tend to go for £50 max.
  • carmel11
    Options
    I have no doubt at all its genuine.
    I have currently seen one same but different colour now selling elsewhere on ebay for nearly £1000,and auction not finished.If i sold it and they said it was fake,they could send it back.
  • hermum
    Options
    carmel11 wrote: »
    I have currently seen one same but different colour now selling elsewhere on ebay for nearly £1000,and auction not finished.If i sold it and they said it was fake,they could send it back.

It doesn't work like that, especially if it's someone who's trying to scam you.
    The buyer is generally given a refund & told to destroy the item. So you'll lose the money & the bag.
  • starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 April 2012 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Whether you have no doubt is not the issue - if the buyer starts making paypal claims that it's not genuine then things may get tricky for you - you have to provide absolute proof that it is genuine (which might be difficult to obtain) and who knows -they could send you a fake bag back instead!

I would never sell an item of that value on ebay just in case something goes wrong. Paypal will almost always find in the favour of the buyer, and it's a lot of money to lose if you do get someone dodgy buying it (not saying everyone on ebay is out to try and con you, but it's a lot of money to risk!)

I think you would be far better off selling it somewhere else.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    carmel11 wrote: »

But knowing and proving are two entirely different things.
    I have a pair of Rayban sunglasses which I am 100% confident are genuine as they were purchased by me from a Rayban outlet.

However, I no longer have the receipt, and if I sold them on ebay and the buyer opened an ebay dispute claiming that they were counterfeit, I would be asked to provide proof that this wasn't the case.
    As I don't have the receipt, and the buyer had possession of the glasses, there would be no way for me to give the required proof, and I would lose the dispute.
  • carmel11
    edited 30 April 2012 at 6:26PM
    Options
    I didnt know that.So,that has implications for anything you sell on ebay if you have a luxury expensive item and the buyer could lie,say its fake and get to keep it.Why would anyone sell stuff if thats so easy to claim? The brand name, was advertised in the listing, at an auction,while others I bought at the same time which were not genuine were described as eg Louis Vutton style
    I bought it at an auction and the listing,although i dont have access to it this minute described for example other non genuine items as louis-vuitton style,is that auction houses listing proof?
  • hermum
    Options
    If you bought it from ebay then the listing itself won't prove authenticity.
    Incidentally people aren't allowed to list something as LV style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure