Virgin Media Contract- Dubious practices?

Options
Hi

I've had nothing but problems with VM since i joined them last year. Finally they sent me a new superhub and these seem to have been resolved. However, i've been so disenchanted that i was looking at alternatives. So i called them to confirm when my contract ran out, and they told me 11 months; weird as I was on a 12 month contract. Apparently when i received a new Superhub I agreed to another 12 month contract. I was not told this on the phone, and it was not communicated by email or hard copy. Surely this is illegal, right?

DG

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not dubious, its in your contract...
  • digitalgoldfish
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    It's not dubious, its in your contract...

The contract i've been able to find online doesn't mention replacing broken equipment as invoking a new contract.

Even if it is in the contract, are they not still legally obliged to remind you on the phone that you are taking out a new contract with them? Seems unfair, if not dubious.
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You are right, if the contract says nothing then Virgin would have to prove you agreed to the vocal re-contract with its new terms.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No doubt they would have described the new equipment as an 'upgrade', thereby triggering a new 12m minimum term.
    VM are notorious for doing this on the slightest prextext.

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Upgrade of BB would be classed as speed/package NOT a replacement router. Unless explicitly you are informed this replacement will re-contract you...which is a fine line if you have to use the providers approved modem/router then it would not be legal to assume a upgrade/replacement was a new contract term.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    Virgin sales call centre 'phoned me about ten days ago to offer me an upgrade to very high speed broadband (I'm on their lowest speed), and a TIVO, free installation, for £3 extra a month. I said I wasn't sure (I don't want to tie myself down to a contract) so they told me they'd 'phone me back in a week.

A week later came the second call, not mentioning the first, saying they were upgrading my broadband speed free, that day. Really? I said. Yes!, they said. Then they asked for my password. I asked why they needed it. Then I said, you're upgrading my broadband free, and I don't need to do anything at all to get it, right?

So they said "Mumble mumble TIVO mumble password"

So I said, no thanks.

Anybody else had this?
  • audie1
    audie1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am having a similar problem with Virgin Broadband. I keep getting intermitent "Limited access" or "no internet access" on my laptop. I tried my other laptop, thinking maybe it was a problem with my main one, but had the same result with that. I rang Virgin & explained the problem to them. I was told "as we have upgraded the speed of your broadband, your wireless router may not be able to keep up, & as it's not one of ours, there's not really much we can do" I explained my router was an expensive one (£85) & only a few months old. I was then told "we can provide you with our new Virgin HUB, but it will cost you £20 install & you will start a new 12 month contract" Now I have had this digital tv, phone contract since they were Telewest, & I took broadband 3 years ago, so I would say I am a long term, loyal customer, but this is a disgrace..I never asked them to speed up my broadband, I was quite happy with what I had, but as they have changed everyone's, we have no choice but to go with it..Why should we pay for a router from them? Surely if they upgrade, they should supply the equipment FREE!! & the origonal contract should remain. To me it's just another way of them getting more money out of me, tying me to them with a new contract, all because they upgraded.. I would say fine if I'd asked for a faster speed, but I didn't..
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The router is always 'free' (install apart) because it isn't ever yours-it is leased under the contract and has to be returned at the end, along with any other equipment.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    audie1 wrote: »
    I am having a similar problem with Virgin Broadband. I keep getting intermitent "Limited access" or "no internet access" on my laptop. I tried my other laptop, thinking maybe it was a problem with my main one, but had the same result with that. I rang Virgin & explained the problem to them. I was told "as we have upgraded the speed of your broadband, your wireless router may not be able to keep up, & as it's not one of ours, there's not really much we can do" I explained my router was an expensive one (£85) & only a few months old. I was then told "we can provide you with our new Virgin HUB, but it will cost you £20 install & you will start a new 12 month contract" Now I have had this digital tv, phone contract since they were Telewest, & I took broadband 3 years ago, so I would say I am a long term, loyal customer, but this is a disgrace..I never asked them to speed up my broadband, I was quite happy with what I had, but as they have changed everyone's, we have no choice but to go with it..Why should we pay for a router from them? Surely if they upgrade, they should supply the equipment FREE!! & the origonal contract should remain. To me it's just another way of them getting more money out of me, tying me to them with a new contract, all because they upgraded.. I would say fine if I'd asked for a faster speed, but I didn't..

The tech is talking rubbish. If your line is already upgraded (I would be surprised) then you should be furnished with a Superhub free of charge as it is your MODEM that will not be compatible. Your router does not have a compatibility issue, as it will just throttle down if it doesn't support the speed.

Did you go through the usual VM process of removing the router from the equation and hardwiring your laptop to the modem via the cable that currently goes from your modem to your router?

Did that still have limited access? If so that is a line/modem fault which they should rectify at no cost (as they have stopped doing standalone modems you would get a superhub).

Your choice of taking a non Virgin Router does mean that they cannot support you and understandably so - your argument about having to pay for the router is mute, as you just did pay for your own router. Now, if the router is at fault (this will be proven if the hardwire above connects) then you are entirely on your own to fix your wireless problem as Virgin are only contracted to provide a internet service, which they are doing, they are not required to provide a wireless service under the terms of the contract.
  • Hockeynut
    Hockeynut Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The router is always 'free' (install apart) because it isn't ever yours-it is leased under the contract and has to be returned at the end, along with any other equipment.

I recenty cancelled my contract, asked which bits they wanted to collect and they just said the V+ & Tivo box, they didn't want the Modem or router.

As an aside, it is very amusing letting them know when they may have an appointment time slot to collect their equipment. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure