Hard Drive Data Recovery - Datatrack Labs

Options
123457»

Comments

• Miss_sparkle_2
    Options
    trust99 wrote: »
    Yes funnily enough drive is now making a clicking noise. Original quote from Data Track labs specified logical damage and no physical damage. Since they returned it the HDD now makes clicking noise and also powers down after 20-30 seconds.

Back to Square 1 !

Suppose flip a coin between Xytron and Retrodata as both seem to have good reviews. Unless anyone knows different ?

I used Xytron and I was really pleased with the results and the service. I phoned around quite a few companies but glad I went with Xytron in the end. My hard drive was also making the clicking noise but wouldn't power on at all so I guess mine was in a worse condition. Worth giving them a call and see what they say.

Hope you get sorted:)
  • Sorry to hear you are unable to access the data.

It’s a shame but I think this is only half the story. Who actually diagnosed a logical failed drive? The client or the company?

Either the disk has sustained damage during transit or the disk has deteriorated as a result of it’s bad sectors. A hard drive with severe bad sectors can result in a failure of the read/write heads as they are not logical bad sectors. There is a difference between a logically failed drive (file system corruption, deleted data or accidently formatted), or a drive needing a logical data recovery (the use of software to extract the data, controlling the drives operation, even though the drive is unstable as a result of a failing read/write heads or bad sectors). I do not believe the drive had logically failed.

I am quite sure it would have been explained to the client that there is a chance of the drive deteriorating especially if another company such as Rapid Data has already had the drive, recovered the data and sent a list of files to the client. What was their diagnosis?

I am quite sure that Datatrack only provide a list of files once they have had the go ahead to work on the drive.

There is always a risk when sending a hard drive around the country trying to obtain the cheapest price as each time it is tested, the drives continuous operation can result in deterioration of the drives health.

Has the disk been opened? If not then most DR companies will offer this recovery on a no data no fee basis but I cannot see it being a cheap recovery if the drive is clicking.

There are lots of companies which may be able to help, two of them have positive reviews on this forum, so if you want to get a free evaluation from a 3rd data recovery company then Retrodata, or Xytron should be able to assist. Also there are other reliable companies such as Disklabs, PC Image and TRC Data Recovery.
  • isotonic_uk
    isotonic_uk Posts: 350 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you have such important data i would seriously invest in a RAID nas box.. Pretty cheap these days and can offer a lot better data protection but the ability to leave it in one fixed position, connected to your router and then your pcs, tvs, mobiles can connect to that to retrieve information...
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A raid box though is only really good as a backup - raid 1 doesn't offer any protection against a file that has been accidentally deleted.

You still want to keep the data in at least two separate locations.
  • Moretistic
    Moretistic Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    trust99 wrote: »
    No one as yet.
    I price of £150-£200. Turns out HDD gone to one of Fields Data scam companies in Wales (Google Fields Data and Rapid data recovery, 000's of complaints) No surprise quoted price is now more than double with no guarantee of any data.
    Request HDD returned

3. Sends HDD to Data track labs, quoted price is similar to advertised but subject to large surcharge if work to be completed in less than standard time (standard time 14-21 days) First attempt to have HDD collected by our own courier rebuffed and the courier sent packing, DTLabs say that the HDD has now been sent in standard Royal Mail as I type.

I will update this thread when we have received the HDD and
    had a chance at software recovery.

**Update HDD received today so DTL true to their word.

What did DTL say was wrong with the drive ?

Rapid Data is part of Fields Data Recovery and are located in the same area - is there a connection between DTL, Rapid and Fields ?

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2520295
    What would you do if you were me ?
  • Steve_Andrea
    Options
    Any update on the drive?

I'm still putting some pennies away so I can have my drive recovered?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure