Query on water bill

bundance
bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have had a water meter since 2009.

I have always paid by direct debit.

I live alone in a one bed flat.

Firstly my direct debit was £14.00 a month, then it went up to £18.00 per month.
This year, I just got a bill for £28.81
I used a particularly large amount of water last year, due to an ocd like washing fixation.

I have been advised that if there is a bill, my direct debit will be adjusted.
I do not want to pay a bigger monthly amount, because I am now using a lot less water.
I understand my water meter is read once a year and the direct debit amount based on this.
So, effectively, if you use a lot of water in one year, then you are going to pay as if you were always using a lot of water.

I would tell them the above, but they may have heard it lots of times before as an excuse to pay less.

Can anyone advise me what to do please?
Thanks
Please can someone advise

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Ask to keep your DD payments as before.

If they won't allow this, then don't pay by DD but 6 monthly for what you use(send them your meter readings.
  • bundance
    Cardew wrote: »
    Ask to keep your DD payments as before.

If they won't allow this, then don't pay by DD but 6 monthly for what you use(send them your meter readings.
    Thanks, but the last time I rang them they said they don't take meter readings from customers.
  • Cardew
    If they base a bill on a too high estimated reading, then call them with a correct reading or demand that they send a meter reader out.

The bottom line is they cannot make you pay too much i.e. more than you use. In all probability they will lower the DD. For that sort of money it is just not worth the hassle for them, as they will get the correct amount eventually.
  • bundance
    If they base a bill on a too high estimated reading, then call them with a correct reading or demand that they send a meter reader out.

The bottom line is they cannot make you pay too much i.e. more than you use. In all probability they will lower the DD. For that sort of money it is just not worth the hassle for them, as they will get the correct amount eventually.

Hi I just looked at my bill.
    It says meter reading 16th April but it doesn't say estimate.

On the front of the bill it says "while we aim to review your payments annually, it is your responsibility to ensure that your payments are sufficient to cover your bill. Please check your payments and bill carefully"

There is a bit on the bill that I am confused about.

From the 29/9/11 to the 31/3/12 it says I am charged 20 cubic metres whch sounds normal, but, from the 1/4/12 to the 16/4/12 it says I have been charged for 2 cubic metres.

As said above, my water useage has been low this year, so I cannot figure out why I have used 2 cubic metres in 2 weeks.

Any clarification would be useful, thanks.
  • Cardew
    The prices increased on 01 April which is why there are two charges.

In 26 weeks you used 20 cubic metres which works out at 0.77 per week.

In 16 days(2.29 weeks) you have used 2 units. 2.29 x 0.77 = 1.76 cubic metres. So you have been charged for approx 0.24 cubic metres extra at the new increased rate; so you have been charged about 1 penny too much!!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bundance wrote: »
    Hi I just looked at my bill.
    It says meter reading 16th April but it doesn't say estimate.

On the front of the bill it says "while we aim to review your payments annually, it is your responsibility to ensure that your payments are sufficient to cover your bill. Please check your payments and bill carefully"

There is a bit on the bill that I am confused about.

From the 29/9/11 to the 31/3/12 it says I am charged 20 cubic metres whch sounds normal, but, from the 1/4/12 to the 16/4/12 it says I have been charged for 2 cubic metres.

As said above, my water useage has been low this year, so I cannot figure out why I have used 2 cubic metres in 2 weeks.

Any clarification would be useful, thanks.
    You could switch to whole bill quarterly direct debit and pay the actual bill each quarter. You don't usually save anything by paying water on a monthly basis.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • bundance
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    You could switch to whole bill quarterly direct debit and pay the actual bill each quarter. You don't usually save anything by paying water on a monthly basis.
    Yes, I would rather do that, because even though I used a lot last year, this year, I would be spending more than I am using, and paying the actual bill each quarter would ensure I only pay for what I use.

Thank you
  • Cardew
    bundance wrote: »
    Yes, I would rather do that, because even though I used a lot last year, this year, I would be spending more than I am using, and paying the actual bill each quarter would ensure I only pay for what I use.

Thank you

Do any water companies bill quarterly?

Most bill twice a year. If they did bill quarterly it would surely only be on estimated meter readings as I can't see them reading the meter four times a year.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do any water companies bill quarterly?

Most bill twice a year. If they did bill quarterly it would surely only be on estimated meter readings as I can't see them reading the meter four times a year.
    My south staffs water bill comes quarterly. https://ssw.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11/related/1 They read the meter once a year so the readings in between are estimated but I could if I wanted an accurate bill read the meter and supply the reading and they say they will happily provide a new bill.

It says on the website you can choose monthly or quarterly when paying by direct debit. https://ssw.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • bundance
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    My south staffs water bill comes quarterly. https://ssw.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11/related/1 They read the meter once a year so the readings in between are estimated but I could if I wanted an accurate bill read the meter and supply the reading and they say they will happily provide a new bill.

It says on the website you can choose monthly or quarterly when paying by direct debit. https://ssw.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7
    Thanks I will check on our local water boards web site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure