IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking to Y Maes (Castle Square), Caernarfon and how to avoid paying parking tickets

Options
For anyone that is interested the signage to Y Maes (Castle Square), Caernarfon does not comply with Chapter 3, Traffic Signs Manual.

As such there is a high chance that all parking tickets (PCNs) and especially those issued to the the part of the square by the fountain have no legal standing.

I have just won an adjudication at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal for a ticket issued in December, 2011.

Comments

• Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Contact your local newspaper, they might love a story like this
  • cotch
    Options
    I have also had a PCN cancelled by the adjudicator, it was on the grounds that the authority offered no further challenge, The authority then sent me a sh**ty letter, stating that they did not challenge it due to staff shortages. Interesting that since I pointed out all their signage errors they have changed two. Not to worry the signs still do not minimum standard, so if you get a ticket in this area appeal, appeal, appeal. Take pictures, know you rights and appeal.
  • sinope101
    Options
    For anyone that is interested the signage to Y Maes (Castle Square), Caernarfon does not comply with Chapter 3, Traffic Signs Manual.

As such there is a high chance that all parking tickets (PCNs) and especially those issued to the the part of the square by the fountain have no legal standing.

I have just won an adjudication at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal for a ticket issued in December, 2011.

Has anyone recently had a Code 46 PCN for parking on Castle Square (Y Maes)? Having had informal and formal appeals rejected for a ticket issued in March 2014, it is now down to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. Any back up would be much appreciated.

Here's what happened. I visited Caernarfon for the first time with my husband in March. Being unfamiliar with the town, we found ourselves directed towards Y Maes and spotted a place to park along a row of cars near the fountain. It was Sunday morning and very quiet, so it didn't seem surprising to find a car parking space near the town centre. What did surprise us was that we couldn't see a P&D machine - we didn't expect free parking. This rang alarm bells, so we both checked carefully for No Parking signs. The only sign around was a 'No Stopping on Main Carriageway' situated close to an exit road. We both thought that this applied to the exit road itself rather than the open ground of Y Maes which looked like a legitimate place to park.

Satisfied there were no restrictions, we found a nearby restaurant and had a very enjoyable lunch. On returning to the car, we saw that it had just been issued with a PCN. The traffic warden was still there, so I asked her to point out the No Parking signs. She replied that it wasn't a parking ticket, but a penalty for stopping on a clearway. I didn't get it. The warden noticed my puzzled expression and said... "You're not from round here are you?" From this I concluded that while locals are aware of the parking restrictions at Y Maes, naïve tourists are getting caught out and issued with tickets.

If you have had a similar experience, whether you appealed the ticket or not, please could you reply. It would be useful evidence in the appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

Thank you.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,386 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You would be best to post here if you haven't already:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    sinope101 wrote: »
    This rang alarm bells, so we both checked carefully for No Parking signs. The only sign around was a 'No Stopping on Main Carriageway' situated close to an exit road. We both thought that this applied to the exit road itself rather than the open ground of Y Maes which looked like a legitimate place to park.

I wouldn't mention the above in your appeal as you've effectively admitted to not knowing if it was ok to park there or not. Personally I think it's fairly obvious that the Maes is the town square and not a public car park, not only are there no signs or P&D machine but there are also no marked bays (other than those in the designated disabled parking area). The problem is that more often than not there are cars parked on the square which perhaps misleads other motorists into believing that it must be ok to park there as well when that isn't the case. The moral of the story is don't assume that it's ok to do something just because someone else has.

I believe the reason given for not putting up no parking signs was that as loading and unloading is allowed on the square then it would be illegal to do so (but why that should be or if that's in deed correct I couldn't say).
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • sinope101
    Options
    Yay! Appeal allowed on the ground that the alleged contravention did not occur. More details at Pepipoo...
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    sinope101 wrote: »
    Yay! Appeal allowed on the ground that the alleged contravention did not occur. More details at Pepipoo...
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=91099

Well done - and without much forum help either! Most Council PCNs are winnable, it's just that most people don't realise! Did you actually point all that out or did the adjudicator 'help' by saying it out of the blue?
  • sinope101
    Options
    Thanks for posting the right link to the Pepipoo thread.

I really can't understand why more people have not challenged the Y Maes PCNs - the signs are plain nonsense. On the day we visited in March there were at least half a dozen other cars with tickets and I guess there have been many more since then. Fact is, if the majority of motorist meekly cough up the £35, what incentive does the council have to change things?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    None and as I say, people are duped into paying PCNs because of the discount and think they have no hope of appealing. In fact I paid my one and only real PCN back in the 1990s, when with hindsight I know for a fact I would have won on appeal (with what I know now!). And I paid it as a Mum with small kids and not much cash, to 'take advantage' of that discount - which is what people do...
  • Frogaholic
    Options
    I have recently been issued with a PCN on Castle Square ( along with another 5 parked alongside) and also had my informal appeal rejected. It does seem surprising that the local council are still issuing tickets despite not having changed any of the circumstances ( no changes to signs, no red lines) and having lost an appeal.
    If only as a public service, as it is obvious that people do not understand the rules in the area ,the Council should take steps to ensure that locals and visitors alike are aware that this is a restricted area.
    As I am already going to have to pay the full fine should I persist to the formal appeal stage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure