Social Services Question

Options

Comments

• BlueAngelCV
    BlueAngelCV Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    I think that it's very unprofessional that they told her and I would expect something like that to be kept confidential unless I specified otherwise.

I think that the onus should be on ss to warn the caller that they may tell the parents who made the complaint not on the caller to specify that they shouldn't.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    in most social services departments, referrals are normally taken by admin or the call centres, it may be that this warning was not given, but the reality is, yes we do tell clients where information came from if we know and if it was not specified to keep it anonymous. the emphasis, quite rightly, on working with parents in child protection is openness and honesty and it would be unprofessional to withold information which is important in getting parents to understand their own behaviour and the impact of that on their child
  • Teenie_D
    Teenie_D Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    puddy wrote: »
    we are required to be a transparent and honest with clients as we can. how would you like it if i came to your house alleging this and that and then said, well i know who is saying all this but im not going to tell you, that doesnt get the relationship off to a great start and does not help the parent trust anyone. if someone wants to stay anonymous they can

But surely you are professional enough to not be saying that!

I am shocked that the SW'er told the neighbour who complained about her tbh, and if complaints are being made, then surely the person who is taking the call has a duty to tell the caller that they will be identified, that way at least that way they can choose.

Surely this will make people NOT call social services if they believe there is a problem meaning 'problems' will go on being ignored?
    "That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."
  • cottonhead
    cottonhead Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Confidentiality is not always possible to maintain. Someone making a referral has the right to remain anonymous if they request it but if its the neighbour who has reported the concerns then its probably obvious to the lady it was the neighbour who reported her, due to the info contained in the referral. This is what puts a lot of people off reporting their concerns. Better for yoru friend to bite the bullet so to speak than leave the situation to potentially worsen.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    Teenie_D wrote: »
    But surely you are professional enough to not be saying that!

I am shocked that the SW'er told the neighbour who complained about her tbh, and if complaints are being made, then surely the person who is taking the call has a duty to tell the caller that they will be identified, that way at least that way they can choose.

Surely this will make people NOT call social services if they believe there is a problem meaning 'problems' will go on being ignored?

of course you dont say that, but that is the message that the parent will get, i ask again, how would you feel, parents first questions are 'who made the referral, who said that'
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    I doubt highly that SS said an actual name. Its more likely they said that they had had contact from a concerned neighbour. Surely nobody would be that unprofessional?
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • dollydimp_2
    Options
    I am the person that rang the social services, I spoke to the actual social worker that is dealing with my neighbour, so not a call centre. At no point did she say my name was going to be revealed, I (stupidly) assumed that this would remain confidential, especially as I had expressed my concern over her violent temper. If I had of been told, I wouldn't have said a word as my neighbour is a complete lunatic. She did reveal my actual name to my neighbour, she admitted it when my furious husband rang her.

I am really surprised that it seems that I should have known how the system works?

One thing is for sure, I certainly won't be ringing them ever again.
  • Racheldevon
    Racheldevon Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of useful advice given by others re logging any outbursts/calling the police etc. I would suggest you contact them and ask to speak to the practice manager of the social worker you spoke to regarding your concerns over the confidentiality issue you've raised on here.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    puddy wrote: »
    in most social services departments, referrals are normally taken by admin or the call centres, it may be that this warning was not given, but the reality is, yes we do tell clients where information came from if we know and if it was not specified to keep it anonymous. the emphasis, quite rightly, on working with parents in child protection is openness and honesty and it would be unprofessional to withold information which is important in getting parents to understand their own behaviour and the impact of that on their child

With the emphasis rightly being on child protection, i would have thought having people 'on the ground' feel safe in reporting issues in confidence would be pretty helpful to the social service....getting a clear picture, and warnings if things were going from bad to worse. If someone gets in trouble and fears for their safety when they report bad naively not requesting anonymity, then they may think twice beore reporting worse.

I have to say, it would not have occure to me that if i reported i would be named. I am glad to know that.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    dollydimp wrote: »
    I am the person that rang the social services, I spoke to the actual social worker that is dealing with my neighbour, so not a call centre. At no point did she say my name was going to be revealed, I (stupidly) assumed that this would remain confidential, especially as I had expressed my concern over her violent temper. If I had of been told, I wouldn't have said a word as my neighbour is a complete lunatic. She did reveal my actual name to my neighbour, she admitted it when my furious husband rang her.

I am really surprised that it seems that I should have known how the system works?

One thing is for sure, I certainly won't be ringing them ever again.

Well done for calling them, at the end of the day a child is a little safer now. As an adult if your neighbour comes hassling you, you can call the Police, the child cant.

Social Services are not perfect but they also have to develop working relationships with the parent as well as the child. The concerned neighbour is their last concern. Personally I think this needs a serious review and that you should complain to your local Councillor about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure