Rewiring whole house costs, any help appreciated.. :)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
16 replies 24.3K views
FUNKYDADDIOFUNKYDADDIO Forumite
537 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi Guys,

Need my house completly rewired, its a late 50`s house and needs 20 twin sockets, 11 main lights and 2/3 security lights and usual kitchen sockets. Also needs a "spike"? I heard electricians charge per socket etc.. is this true? and also anyone recommend any good electricians to get quotes from?
Access to floorboards etc.. should be straightforward..
Many thanks :beer:

Replies

• edited 23 April 2012 at 10:14PM
    Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 April 2012 at 10:14PM
    I was recently quoted £3000 for a full rewire off a four bedroom house .
    I am waiting for another quote (electrician seen the house today) to see where I go .
    If you are going for a rewire you need smoke detectors as well .Yes they will charge per socket ,but beware a socket can cost £2.99 or £20 so you need to decide the quality .
    Who is doing the replastering ?The electrician can include this in the price .

I have uses an electrician called Dennis for two smaller jobs .07850170074 ,just waiting to see what his price is .He was recommended on here
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • FUNKYDADDIOFUNKYDADDIO Forumite
    537 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks Old git, still have to complete so trying to arrange timings for quotes, good to get a ball park.. Thanks :)
  • I'm having a complete re-wire done and was quoted £2500 (by the guy who's doing it) but I know this will rise as I've added stuff as we go along. Old Git is right about smoke detectors and they sgould also fit a heat detector in the kitchen I believe. Would agree also about re-plastering etc after all is fitted.... find out who's responsible for what.. also make sure you get it all on paper as far as re-placing anything that may get damaged etc (I'll guarantee you'll break or split the odd floorboard !)
  • CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Forumite
    634 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi Guys,

Need my house completly rewired, its a late 50`s house and needs 20 twin sockets, 11 main lights and 2/3 security lights and usual kitchen sockets. Also needs a "spike"? I heard electricians charge per socket etc.. is this true? and also anyone recommend any good electricians to get quotes from?
    Access to floorboards etc.. should be straightforward..
    Many thanks :beer:

You have PM.
  • A.L.D.AA.L.D.A Forumite
    522 Posts
    Sit down and write out what you require in each room. The number of socket outlets is usually easy enough. Don't forget any external wiring, door bell, immersion heater, controls to boiler, thermostats, connections to fridges, washing machine, cooker. Smoke and heat detectors with integral sounders. Would recommend CO detectors if you have gas fires, oven, cooker and boiler (if internal).

Also do you require any cables put in for telephones, televisions, stereo systems, computers etc. You mentioned the earth spike so mention it again.

You then have the consumer unit and circuit breakers. List out the circuits, probably kitchen, rest of ground floor, first floor, cooker, ground floor lighting, first floor lighting. A circuit for any external sockets and you will need a special trip for that circuit (can't think of its name.) Fire detection circuits are separate and you use fire resisting cable.

Lighting is more difficult. With the lighting, decide where you need two way switches, dimmers etc. Types of lights and number, particularly in kitchens can be difficult to decide on.

Do you want lights and switches in wardrobes & roofspace?

Produce a thorough list, and get itemised tenders. You will probably make a few mistakes and changes as the work is being done, everyone does.

As mentioned before make sure tracking, plastering and clearing up the mess on completion are included and agree stage payments.
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    A.L.D.A wrote: »
    Sit down and write out what you require in each room. The number of socket outlets is usually easy enough. Don't forget any external wiring, door bell, immersion heater, controls to boiler, thermostats, connections to fridges, washing machine, cooker. Smoke and heat detectors with integral sounders. Would recommend CO detectors if you have gas fires, oven, cooker and boiler (if internal).

Also do you require any cables put in for telephones, televisions, stereo systems, computers etc. You mentioned the earth spike so mention it again.

You then have the consumer unit and circuit breakers. List out the circuits, probably kitchen, rest of ground floor, first floor, cooker, ground floor lighting, first floor lighting. A circuit for any external sockets and you will need a special trip for that circuit (can't think of its name.) Fire detection circuits are separate and you use fire resisting cable.

Lighting is more difficult. With the lighting, decide where you need two way switches, dimmers etc. Types of lights and number, particularly in kitchens can be difficult to decide on.

Produce a thorough list, and get itemised tenders. You will probably make a few mistakes and changes as the work is being done, everyone does.

As mentioned before make sure tracking, plastering and clearing up the mess on completion are included and agree stage payments.

Some great advice there.
    537 Posts
    ✭✭
    A.L.D.A wrote: »

Brilliant and comprehensive advice, thank you very much indeed.......:)
    537 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Old Git, did you get a price from Dennis? Thanks..
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Old Git, did you get a price from Dennis? Thanks..
    yes got the price ,a bit cheaper than the first quote and I have seen his work before ,one thing to watch out for is price plus VAT .
    I assumed price included VAT.

Dennis starts on Monday .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • dmxdavedmxdave Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    In any case, watch out for the "extras" If it has not been included make sure you get a firm price before asking for that extra socket, phone point etc
    Dave
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals