Is a meter worth it - London NW11

Options
2 adults, 2 kids -
6 baths, 9 showers, 3 dishwasher runs and 3 washing machine runs a week

We had a meter installed about 2 yrs ago but following friends advice have been paying RV - £699 p.a.

Meter readings show we used 165 units over the last year or more, which Thames say would come to approx £300

But we are wary because they say we would never be able to switch back to RV (should our family needs rise)

Can anyone decide for us??
Thanks!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Isn't £300 a lot cheaper than £699?

Almost enough of a saving to buy a season ticket Down the Lane!
  • angelsmomma
    angelsmomma Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does this include sewage charges or just water usage. I had a meter and my bill was more than before, there was just me and a 7 year old at the time.

It was one of the reasons I moved again in the end. I was paying £12 a month before in a 2 bedroomed terrace and £27 a month with the meter in a 2 bedroom newbuild flat just around the corner.
    Life is not the way it’s supposed to be. It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Does this include sewage charges or just water usage. I had a meter and my bill was more than before, there was just me and a 7 year old at the time.

Both! The combined charge for water and sewerage is approx £1.80 per cubic metre, plus a small service charge, and the OP used 165 cubic metres last year.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 April 2012 at 10:15AM
    Options
    2 adults, 2 kids -
    6 baths, 9 showers, 3 dishwasher runs and 3 washing machine runs a week

We had a meter installed about 2 yrs ago but following friends advice have been paying RV - £699 p.a.

Meter readings show we used 165 units over the last year or more, which Thames say would come to approx £300

But we are wary because they say we would never be able to switch back to RV (should our family needs rise)

Can anyone decide for us??
    Thanks!
    How much metered water could you get for £699 per year?

Let's have a look at http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/corp/201213-metered-charges-leaflet.pdf

It's £28 per year for the supply of fresh water and £52 a year for the supply of wastewater services. Standing charges...So that leaves £619 to spend on water. Water costs 122.63pcm and waste water costs 64.73pcm. That's £1.8763 per cubic metre. £619 would get you 330 cubic metres per year. Divide by 365 days is 905 litres per day. That could support a family of 6. If you have more than 6 people in the house then stay rateable value. If you have exactly 6 people in the house then it doesn't matter but you could save by saving water and if you have 5 people or less in the house then always switch to a meter. 150 litres per person day is average for a person that doesn't look too closely at water saving and uses some outside water such as for washing the car and watering the garden. You could reduce your usage to around 100 litres per day by watching your water usage closely filling the bath half way instead of full for example and using no outside water at all. You might also be away from the property part of the day and use water elsewhere such as work or school and you might have holidays where you use no water at all.

You have also admitted you save water by bathing between you 15 times per week where a family with older kids would each bathe every day (4 times 7 is) 28 times a week.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure