We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Top soil Where to get some cheap or free?

Options

Comments

• helenrobins
    Options
    we get our top soil mushroom compost and manure from Robins of Herstmonceux, in east sussex, they deliver it loose or in jumbo bags and are very reasonable and the soil is excellent quality.:j
  • bottleredhead
    Options
    Check on your local Freecycle group-my dad was just giving loads away on ours.

https://www.freecycle.org
    I'm a Nanny again! 23rd April 2012
    Elijah arrived 7 weeks early, 4lb 6.5ozs struggling a bit but in neo natal so well looke after!

I'm A Nanny! (3rd July 2008)
    Carmella arrived 7 weeks early, 4lb 11ozs and doing well in Neo natal :j
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    has anyone got rough idea how many tonnes i'd need to fill beds this size? (three options)

108 cubic feet = ??tonnes??

168 cubic feet = ??tonnes??

296 cubic feet = ??tonnes??

i have a feeling this is gonna be expensive :(
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    not for the organic growers this one. but if you want a lot of topsoil try british sugar. mainly in east anglia, but they can do huge loads 20 ton around £200. its what is washed off the sugar beet and is full of the farmers fertiliser, hence the no organic route.
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • helenrobins
    Options
    Becky, Top soil is roughly the same in metres as in tonnes, it depends on whether the soil is wet or dry, but if you roughly do it as the same, soil delivered on a 20tonne tipper lorry can be around £18 a metre (x15 = £270 +VAT) or about £35 a metre on a 3 metre load (= £105 + vat)

Hope this helps

If you measure the area your supplier will work out the exact amount you will need.

Helen:j
  • coolpran
    coolpran Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the information bordercars. do you have their contact details by any chance?
  • helenrobins
    Options
  • AliPatercakes
    Options
    You could try Brighton Community Compost Centre. They do really lovely topsoil and if your an allotment or grower they offer a discount I think.
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I too am looking for topsoil. We took up a small, 2mx2m patio a few years ago and put some topsoil down, then grasses it. We didn't get all the rubble under it up so the grass never really flourished. So one day I got a mad idea and began digging it all up again. About 20 trips to the tip (with a boot full of rubble filled buckets) later I now have a huge hole in my lawn!
    I thought about pinching soil from the boarders but it wouldn't go far.
    Why do I start these things?:confused: !

Unfortunately you may be storing up problems. Builders put rubble under the soil to allow drainage, without it many houses subside. Get some advice from afriendly builder quicktime.
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • Sbnuj
    Options
    For a free source of top soil in the West Sussex area please check e-bay for current posting of Free Top soil in Billingshurst, West Sussex. We met this lovely couple yesterday and have already taken 2 loads for raised beds. The soil is from a field used for horses and has been stacked and left untreated at the sides of the field. I am no gardening expert but it seems nice soil.
    They have a large quanitity to spare and are more than happy for anyone to take from a bag full to a truck full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure