We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Warning: Fishpond.co.uk

Options

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March 2014 at 1:47PM
    Options
    I searched MSE for information on this company as they are selling something half the price that I'd pay here. It's only £14.95 on their website. Under the item I'm interested in it clearly states that it ships from US and anticipated delivery time.

By researching on the appropriate government department website I was able to satisfy myself that no Duty or VAT would be payable on this amount. The only question is, how reliable is this company which I have attempted to ascertain by coming here.

In the world of internet shopping I do feel that if you are switched on enough to use the internet to buy goods you surely must be aware of Customs Duty and VAT, and if not, savvy enough to do your research of the company first.

Although there are probably UK based sites that sell overseas mention the possibility of (say) US buyers having to pay import duties etc., I don't think I have ever seen any emblazon it across their site, although it's probably in their T&Cs - just as it is on the Fishpond site - "Customs & Duties: For any orders shipped outside of Australia the customer is the importer of record and will be responsible for all customs import duties and sales tax charges. These charges vary in each country and are outside of Fishpond's control. Contact your local customs office for more information on what import duties or sales taxes may be imposed."
  • plato1145
    Options
    BUYER BEWARE I JUST LOST £30 with fishpond.co.uk!
    They send a completely different bathroom washbag
    I request a refund and reply paid label.
    I can keep the item and they credit £10 to my fishpond account.
    For a full refund I have to pay the return postage then forward proof of payment, this will then be credited to fishpond / paypal account
    Postage cost is abt £25!!
    So I keep the bag, use it to store birdseed, vow to avoid fishpond for ever and warn all my many contacts / friends around the world !
  • ElectroJay
    Options
    This site rips you off. I have just found 130 items of my own listings from Amazon.co.uk copied with my company name and priced 3x the cost of my own products. This site must dropship the products purchased. I wouldn't trust this company at all as I had no idea my photos and products were being used until I spotted one in google images.
  • pbb
    pbb Posts: 1 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This site is simply criminal. I ordered and paid over £30. 00 to this site. It never arrived and refused to recognise my e-mail in spite of sending me confirmation and password reset. They seem to avoid responsibility by simply being invisible with various addresses in the world and refusing to communicate.
  • BaldacchinoR
    BaldacchinoR Posts: 135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2014 at 8:40AM
    Options
    You would think that, and common sense should dictate that if the purchaser is based in the UK, then the contract took place in the UK and the relevant UK (and EC) consumer laws would apply. Can anyone shed any light on this?

If you used your credit or debit card to pay, you may be able to claim a refund from the card company under the Chargeback scheme if the item cost less than £100; if it cost more than that, and you used a credit card, then you may claim from the credit card company under S75 (of the Consumer Credit Act).

PS When I say UK laws, I mean either, England and Wales, or Scotland or
    Northern Ireland laws.
  • bobdonelan
    Options
    My experience is similar to Electrojay.

They seem to have lifted content about our products off Amazon and then inflated the prices. They also say that the "supplier ships" which is simply not true. We are the sole supplier and we have no relationship with fishpond. Try putting "Kalis skincare" in the search engine on their site and you will see products like Cucumber toning lotion which simply no longer exist as we discontinued this a year ago.

The fact that they are selling our stuff at inflated prices could potentially hit our brand adversely (we have rrp's) and also when you go to checkout there is text saying we are "not a reliable shipper". This is bordering on slander so I am taking legal advice and have contacted Ofcom.

If you sell cosmetics online I would go to Fishpond and search for your own brand and if there join my crusade to get them shut down.
  • rach1977772003
    Options
    I purchased some books from fishpond on 7th September 2014. They advertised free delivery to any country. On 3rd October I received a to pay card from royal mail. Saying i need to oay £14.53 in order to receive my item. Luckily I knew what the item was or I would have paid. I contacted fishpond.co.uk who took 2 days to reply to every email I sent. They promised to refund the £14.53. But dragged it out. I was soo wound up with it all i wanted a refund. I spoke to pay pal who said if you raise a dispute before the item is sent back you will lose the case as fishpond.co.uk have a tracking number. It's now 21st October, the item has been sent back but no info of that on royal mail. Thankfully PayPal refunded the full amount today. I was lucky to get my money back. So if you are in the same boat with the delivery charge. Call PayPal report your issue abd hang it out until the item is sent back. The more complaints about this ridiculous money grabbing company the better. PayPal will stop them from using them as a payment service.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I purchased some books from fishpond on 7th September 2014. They advertised free delivery to any country. On 3rd October I received a to pay card from royal mail. Saying i need to oay £14.53 in order to receive my item. Luckily I knew what the item was or I would have paid. I contacted fishpond.co.uk who took 2 days to reply to every email I sent. They promised to refund the £14.53. But dragged it out. I was soo wound up with it all i wanted a refund. I spoke to pay pal who said if you raise a dispute before the item is sent back you will lose the case as fishpond.co.uk have a tracking number. It's now 21st October, the item has been sent back but no info of that on royal mail. Thankfully PayPal refunded the full amount today. I was lucky to get my money back. So if you are in the same boat with the delivery charge. Call PayPal report your issue abd hang it out until the item is sent back. The more complaints about this ridiculous money grabbing company the better. PayPal will stop them from using them as a payment service.

Why did you contact them in the first place?
    Customs & Duties: For any orders shipped outside of Australia the customer is the importer of record and will be responsible for all customs import duties and sales tax charges. These charges vary in each country and are outside of Fishpond's control. Contact your local customs office for more information on what import duties or sales taxes may be imposed.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plenty of complaints but people still use them.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• vogon04
    Options
    Jas1234uk wrote: »
    This site appears to be a UK business, advertises prices in pounds sterling and states free shipping. I purchased some cosmetics at what I thought was a good price only to be charged £13 extra by customs as the package was coming from USA! The company is not UK based and actually operates out of New Zealand!! How frustrating for shoppers. When I complained at not being told of any additional charges I was told it was in their terms and conditions, however, I was not advised at all when purchasing that the goods were coming from America. All very misleading! Does anyone else have the same problem with this or another similar site?
    I think we should stop non UK businesses from operating under .co.uk website names!
    Fishpond World, aka Fishpond, aka Fishpond World Ltd, is a very nasty parasite we picked up on the web ..... we want confirmation that we are now immune !

We are a small UK Jewellery Company in the UK and sell on our own products on our website and Amazon. This FISHPOND(.co)(.uk) company took ALL our listings (circa 600+) (without our knowledge) from our Amazon business account and listed on their FISHPOND website at 3 x the price.

FISHPOND state they “search the web to bring customers the best product price”.

They imply they work with the supplier (aka on their website we are known as the "publisher"). Our listings were shown at 3 x the price with our brand name and Amazon SKU code.

We have NEVER had any dealings with this company. We threatened legal action. It appears our listings have now been removed ... but they are still visible on google. This company do not respond to emails and will not confirm our products have been removed from their websites. Interestingly .... all their international websites link back to the FISHPOND(.co)(.uk) website.

We were alerted when the “linked in” UK Country Manager at Fishpond World Limited, kept buying through their Amazon account, and kept on buying and buying, and then changed their account details (very slightly) and continued under a new Amazon account, to regularly buy again and again. By the 3rd Amazon changed buying account ... we started to have questions over this buyer .... bells started to ring ..... this was a “drop shipper”. We then discovered FISHPOND.

Something needs to be done about this parasitic company ...... we want to alert and contact others sellers in the same situation as ourselves AND notify potential buyers about the 3 x on average price increase of products.

MARTIN .... can you provide contacts within the media ? OR How we go about exposing this company ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport