Ideas for cheap places to go with children...

Options
walks, visits etc for people with family ...

Comments

• Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whereabouts are you ?!

i use https://www.netmums.com for ideas on activities / days out
    this is also good http://www.whatson4littleones.co.uk/

I dont know how you woul,d find out about walks etc though

Hopefully someone else can help with that :)
  • sarymclary
    sarymclary Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Invest in a National Trust Family membership (mine was £55 for the year for me and 4 kids), which allows free entry into most NT parks, properties countrywide. You get a comprehensive book, with maps and info on each property/place, broken down into regions. There are regular newsletters which give information specific to your region. They make great days out, even when the weather isn't so good, and you choose places to suit your own family's age groups.

Try here for a start: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

If you want to plan ahead, you can even book cheap accommodation throughout the year with places like travelodge who do double rooms (sleep 4) from £15 p/night. I did this last summer holidays and did days out in London to all the free entry places. It cost us our packed lunch, plus £8.20 for all 5 of us to travel in/out on the tube each day. Bargain!
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not sure whether you mean in your locality or for trips out for things to do - we do both, and it is a rarity for us to spend any money! There is lots to do in most areas with free entry etc..its usuallu car parking that is the stinger!
  • barbie_babe
    barbie_babe Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    I look on internet all theme parks near me as each one will have a cheap day at some point in the year . ( everyone let in for five pound or some as cheap as a pound )as we have a few near us we go to each one on thier cheap days.
    :j
  • GeorginaAlexi
    Options
    try http://www.cubepublications.co.uk/member.asp
    its a site called 'Lets Go With The Children' and they publish a booklet for each area of England. The Kent one is only £3.99 and there are discount vouchers and codes inside to use.
    hth
    Keeley x
  • howdumbarewe!
    Options
    I save our tesco vouchers for taking the kids out. We went to cadbury world for christmas. We are going to flambards in cornwall at the end of the month and the eden project in a couple of months.
    My kids like castles and we paid for us and the kids got in free at Dartmouth castle.
    We go to devon regularly and we got annual passes for the model village and we went loads of times and they loved it everytime! So if there is anywhere your kids like perhaps if you can face loads of visits and stretch to the bit extra it would be a good idea to get annual passes.
    My kids favourite thing to do though is either to walk round harbours looking at all the boats and walk along the sea front and watch the waves (mainly at torquay) you only get to pay for parking. Or go for walks and picnics in the woods near our house.

The favourite thing for my kids to do though
    19/03/2007 Start weight 15st 7lbs
    1st target 11st 7lbs
  • Deals_2
    Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    Options
    under a certain age etc?
  • looneyleo
    looneyleo Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    It's a lot easier in the summer to find free things to do with the kids. My kids love just being outside.

1) We go for walks in various parks around the locality but generally with a mission. We'll pick certain birds, animals and insects and see if we can find them. You could take this further depending on the age of the kids by making a list, drawing a picture or printing off a picture, a bit of research into habitat etc.
    2) My kids love playing in water - if weather is bad we just put waterproofs on a go for a splash in the puddles. If it's good weather the paddling pool comes out for hours of fun.
    3) How about setting up a childrens garden? We had great fun last year growing veg in a few pots. I used old compost from last year, some seeds from dad and we went out everyday to inspect progress, water, and then pick the veg. Perfect time to get this set up ready for planting in next couple of weeks.
    4) If kids are between 0-4, have you checked if there are any Sure Start centres around you. Things have changed with the funding recently and they are called Childrens Centres and can accept kids from anywhere, they were previously geographically restricted.
    5) Check out your local college. They often have creche's available and you don't necessarily have to be on a course to leave your kids there. Ours cost £3.50 for two hours. You may get a free creche place if you do a course???
    6) Check out your local and county council website for things to do. They always list a diary of events and usually give the cost/say if it is free.
    7) Library! Libraries are great...full of things to do for kids especially in half terms etc. Ours has an incentive scheme where each time you go you collect a stamp, and after ten visits you get a free book and toy (worth £10.00) GREAT! I save the books for presents... when kids are too young to know!
    8) Bike riding, flying a kite, pond dipping for sticklebacks, painting/drawing, cooking/baking, walking the dog - borrow a friends to take out if you don't have one!
    9) Use your contacts to! Do you know anyone who has a horse? Can they help clean out/go for a ride???
    10) Check out local cinema...often have kids show for £1.00 entry at certain times.
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Find your local RSPCA centre and sign up for dog walking. That way you get to take a different dog out every week, have loads of fun with it, then take it back. My kids love doing this and it saves me the expense of having a dog!

Ordinary walks get a bit boring for kids, so I give them a bag and write them a list of "treasure" that they have to find. A treasure hunt is much more exciting than a walk!

Museums have become a firm favorite with my kids - we have recently visited museums and art galleries in our town that I have never been in, and they have been there since the year dot!

We use our National Trust card to death!!!

Look on your local authority website - they often have lists of things that are happening for the next few months.

What did you love to do as a child? I often introduce things that I did in my childhood that people have long forgotten (pond dipping, hopscotch,making dens etc).
    Last year, we camped out on the back lawn for a weekend. No Playstations, DVD's etc - it was fantastic! I have no problem finding my inner child!!
  • andycarmi
    andycarmi Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    The library?

Our library has activity days for a pound inc caly tacle, woodwork table, ballon animal making, story table, drink and fruit last two hrs. They also do a story time which last an hour where they tell a story and then have art activites the link to the stories thats free. Then for the uder 2's Nursery Rhyme time also free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport