How do I find out the rateable value?

Options
I'm considering buying a house in Birmingham (Severn Trent area) and have found ST's charging structure (168.45p per £RV in this zone) but it's meaningless until I can find out the rateable value of the property I'm interested in. I've tried Googling and found postcode searches for some areas but nothing covering this part of the country. Can anyone tell me how I can obtain this information?

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm considering buying a house in Birmingham (Severn Trent area) and have found ST's charging structure (168.45p per £RV in this zone) but it's meaningless until I can find out the rateable value of the property I'm interested in. I've tried Googling and found postcode searches for some areas but nothing covering this part of the country. Can anyone tell me how I can obtain this information?
    Ask the owner. Whilst you are at it ask if the property has a meter, if so then RV's are of no use.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Severn Trent(ST) will be able to tell you the RV or, as suggested above, the owner/estate agent.

It is only the water companies that use this information and there is normally no record of it anywhere else(council etc) - plenty of people have tried to check their RV.

Anyway it is probably nugatory effort to find out the RV as ST can insist that a meter is fitted on change of occupant.
  • lynneinjapan
    Options
    Thanks both - the particular one I'm referring to is an auction property so unfortunately it's not possible to ask the owner. We're also looking at repossessions and the same applies there. Sounds like asking ST is the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure