Can my dependent 17 year old move out without parental permission?

Options

Comments

• Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hard as it maybe I would say let her go. She may find after a few weeks/months that she longs to be "home".

Keep a good relationship with her so she knows she is always welcome home and will be missed.

When talking to her about leaving home, tell her how much she is loved and how much she will be missed etc. else if she leaves on bad terms her pride may stop her returning.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moggypants wrote: »
    They must know we're not in agreement with it, as we're not keen on her sleeping over, and she no doubt moans about her 'unreasonable' parents not letting her sleep over more than once or twice a week. x

At least you know where she is. Why don't you like her staying over there? Is it because she is having sex or is there another reason. Would you feel the same way if she wanted to stay over a girlfriend's house?

p.s I am the mother of 17 year old and I have given thought to how I will react when the time comes that she asks to sleep over a BF house. OH and I have agreed that at her age it's now her decision.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • moggypants
    moggypants Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jamespir wrote: »
    is this about the money and not about your step daughter ? cause twice youve mentioned it like it would be a great loss you ?

No it's not about the money, my partner and I don't receive a penny for her, we give money to keep her - but thank you for implying that we're that shallow. The reason I've mentioned the money is that because she is dependent on us all - I just assumed that it would give us more legal rights. I hope I've explained why I've mentioned money over three times now - and hope you understand!

Do you have a daughter? Because the thought of her going there will be a great loss to her Mum and Dad!

Thanks for making us look as bad as we feel right now!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No it's not about the money, my partner and I don't receive a penny for her, we give money to keep her - but thank you for implying that we're that shallow. The reason I've mentioned the money is that because she is dependent on us all - I just assumed that it would give us more legal rights. I hope I've explained why I've mentioned money over three times now - and hope you understand!

Do you have a daughter? Because the thought of her going there will be a great loss to her Mum and Dad!

Thanks for making us look as bad as we feel right now!
    You have kind of lost me now....Does she actually live with you?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • moggypants
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    At least you know where she is. Why don't you like her staying over there? Is it because she is having sex or is there another reason. Would you feel the same way if she wanted to stay over a girlfriend's house?

p.s I am the mother of 17 year old and I have given thought to how I will react when the time comes that she asks to sleep over a BF house. OH and I have agreed that at her age it's now her decision.

She is allowed to stay over there, but no, he doesn't like her staying there. She stays over at least once a week.
  • moggypants
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    You have kind of lost me now....Does she actually live with you?

She legally lives with her Mum. But all parental duties are still decided between my partner and her Mum.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    She legally lives with her Mum. But all parental duties are still decided between my partner and her Mum.
    Right so your husband is the father and when you say you give money to keep her you mean he pays child support. He has to continue paying child support whilst child benefit is in payment even though she has moved out of the PWC's home.

There isn't anything you can do but try and encourage her to return and by only restricting her direct financial support to the level of child benefit that the PWC gets on her behalf every 4 weeks might make her think that it isn't worth staying away and decides to return home.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Does this 8 week plus payment run on also apply to child tax credits and one of the bedrooms in housing benefit? I must say it's astounding!
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does this 8 week plus payment run on also apply to child tax credits and one of the bedrooms in housing benefit? I must say it's astounding!
    Yes and can continue longer than 8 weeks. It can be possible for it to run on until either the daughter claims housing benefit for herself thereby declaring that the room in her mothers house is no longer hers or someone else claims for her which won't happen as none of them have parental responsibility. As she has moved in with her partner then her partner will be responsible for supporting her and not his parents whose home it is. Basically it's like she's just staying at the boyfriends for quite a long time but her home is still her own mothers house.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I can't get my head around this, how does this fit with YOU MUST tell us if anyone leaves or moves into your home, gets married or forms a partnership as if married.

Perhaps you can tell how much this surprises me, I was in a similar position to the OP last year, my son who has mental health problems and wanted to live at his GF's house because they were low lifes and he could be lazy dirty and !!!!less, I was scared if he stayed one night I would be prosecuted, I used to drive down there and pick him up....
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport